How to stop getting presents from a raccoon?

Old 09-02-16, 04:34 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
How to stop getting presents from a raccoon?

We restained our deck on Tuesday. Since that time - 3 nights in a row - a raccoon (I think) has been pooping on our deck in the same place, right next to the door. First, it would be helpful if someone could look at the photo and confirm that it's a raccoon.

Most importantly, we'd appreciate some advice on how to stop the activity. It only occurs at night, after 1:00. Trapping won't work because I can't relocate the animal in Connecticut. I tried putting some ammonia at the base of the deck stairs but that hasn't helped, although I'll probably try it again.Name:  Poop.jpg
Views: 8920
Size:  32.4 KB

Old 09-02-16, 04:43 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Ammonia is what I would have used to attract an animal to poop or pee not repel it.
Photographs of Raccoon Poop - Images of Feces and Droppings

Old 09-02-16, 05:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
The animal is probably marking it's territory. By removing the poop you're probably making the critter think the area needs to be marked again. Ammonia is present in poo and pee so putting more out is possibly telling the animal that some other critter is infringing and marking on it's turf so he leaves another marker of his territory. Short of using CS/tear gas I don't now of any smelly item you could put out to deter them.

I have electric fence equipment so I'd be rigging up some temporary fence to discourage them from that area. There are sorts of animal/pest discouraging devices available. Some have motion sensors to turn on a light or briefly turn on a sprinkler. You can also put down some insect sticky pads. Basically do anything to make the area unattractive.

Old 09-02-16, 06:36 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Against the law to relocate, I think not.
A live trap with a can of dog food or tuna will trap most any critter, that them for a long ride and drop them off.
Really think there's an animal police riding around watching?
Even if you did get caught what are they going to do?

Old 09-02-16, 08:52 PM
T
Thanks for the information. I purchased two 120db motion alarms so I'll see what happens. BTW, I contacted a service and they wanted $400.

Old 09-03-16, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I had racoon problems, they would come in through cat door and eat the food. Borrowed a trap cage and relocated 5 of them about 10 miles from me in a wooded area. no problems since.

Old 09-03-16, 06:50 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
I believe the photos are of raccoon scat, maybe opossum though.

Double check your state laws as to relocation. Sometimes state wildlife laws apply only to pros and not homeowners (whose votes far outnumber the pros).

Do you know anyone that has a trail camera such as deer hunters use that maybe you could borrow for a couple of nights? This will confirm what you have. Be aware that when raccoons/opossums are present there are usually many of them.

Is trapping with euthanasia possible? When I trapped ground hogs I’d bring them to my house and shoot them in the head with a .22 pistol and cb caps or shorts. Disposal is an issue too. I live where I can do that, most people can’t.

Otherwise I don’t have much else to offer.

Old 09-03-16, 07:56 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If you are going to trap it, first make sure it is not a skunk. As for trapping a racoon, they can be rather large and very fierce. You would want a sturdy cage and want to practice the release so as to not have them seek revenge.

If you are successful at deterring them from marking that one spot, likely they will just mark somewhere nearby. Time for them to have a new home. Just don't mention to anyone you are going to trap them. Some animal lovers may turn you in.

Bud

Old 09-03-16, 02:05 PM
T
Thanks to all. As it turns out killing the animal is not prohibited, only relocating it. Apparently the issue (as in many states) is the risk of spreading rabies. I removed the poop off the deck but didn't wash it. Then left the lights on and didn't have an issue last night, I suspect because the critter didn't have a need to mark the location. At any rate, I'll set up the motion detectors just in case. At 120db each, it won't be pleasant if they go off.

Old 09-03-16, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Moth balls are offensive to lots of critters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: