Special drywall to stop mice eating

Old 09-22-16, 07:58 PM
Special drywall to stop mice eating

I just bought this house and lived here a month. Haven't seen or heard evidence that mice are currently present but there are signs of previous intrusions. There are ragged holes under kitchen sink where plumbing comes out of wall. Also around dryer vent tubing. I was looking for a way to seal up these openings.

My sister in CA told me her pest control guy came in and repaired all holes in drywall in her home using some special drywall with wire mesh on back side to keep mice from eating through drywall again.

Have any of you heard of this and know where to get it? Also, anyone had pest control do this kind of repair? My sister said the pest guy did all drywall repairs from mice for just $99 (spent half a day) so don't know how it could be so inexpensive.

I called ORKIN and I was told they only do this on west coast USA.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-16, 02:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never seen or heard of drywall that has a wire mesh. You could tack up hardware cloth over the hole and then drywall. Sheet metal under the drywall would also work. A handyman should be able to do this for you if you don't want to diy.

Old 09-23-16, 03:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure the ragged edges were caused by mice, but sealing in a manner like Mark said is good. Another method I learned of lately is using a pest resistant foam to seal the holes. Unlike normal foam which the pests will feed on, this stuff has either metal or fiberglas filings mixed in it and they can't eat it. I use it on our clothes line pole to keep wasps from building inside. I should think it would work on mice, too. GREAT STUFF 16 oz. Pestblock Insulating Foam Sealant-11034540 - The Home Depot

Old 09-23-16, 05:59 AM
I suspect mice because previous occupants left devices that plug into electrical outlet that emits faint clicking sound. Don't know if they even work but need my kitchen outlets for small appliances.

Old 09-23-16, 06:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You might want to post some pics of the areas you are concerned about. That may help us better understand what your options would be.

Old 09-23-16, 06:09 AM
In addition to Mark's and Larry's suggestions you should assume that the mice have a way to get in, they usually do in most homes. Find some discrete locations and keep a few baited traps around to act as indicators if some are there or more arrive. They often take up housekeeping long before you actually see them. If the holes are larger than half a dollar they could be the larger cousins, requiring larger traps.

Bud

Old 09-23-16, 06:14 AM
Hole under kitchen sink not as ragged as others. This hole looks purposely cut. It is large enough for rats.

Attached Images  
Old 09-23-16, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those holes are from when the house was constructed. You can fill the electrical wire hole with joint compound or caulking. The drain/water line hole looks like it would be a good candidate for the foam that Larry suggested .... or carefully cut a thin piece of plywood to cover the voids.

devices that plug into electrical outlet that emits faint clicking sound. Don't know if they even work but need my kitchen outlets for small appliances
I assume you have one of those gadgets that emits an ultra high frequency sound that is supposed to deter bugs and rodents. As far as I know it's never been proven that they work.

Old 09-23-16, 06:22 AM
I've seen pest control repairs here in Cal.
They simply place wire mesh around the holes on the outside of the drywall, not the inside.

I do a lot of sink hook ups and see evidence of previous trouble, and the mesh seems to work to keep animals out.

Old 09-23-16, 03:21 PM
I read on one DIY website that mesh will rust so recommended a cooper mesh to deter mice gnawing on drywall.

Old 09-23-16, 04:55 PM
I'm not so sure about any mesh. Granted, rats are much bigger than mice but both need to chew to keep their teeth from getting too long. One house I worked on, someone had removed both ends of a can, flattened it and nailed it over a rodent hole, I'll assume rats. The critters cut a nice semicircular cut on one side and enlarged the hole in the wood for the rest.

When I worked for Ma Bell one of the biggest problems they faced in NYC was rodents eating through cables, that's copper wires. They weren't going anywhere, just chewing to be chewing.

Basically, you can't stop them IF they want to come in. Eliminate any food that might attract them and set early warning traps as mentioned before. If the early warning traps go for years without ever catching anything, you are golden. But sealing up a home to keep them out, really tough to do.

Bud

Old 09-24-16, 02:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't be overly concerned about hardware cloth rusting. It won't be exposed to the elements and if you have moisture in the wall - you have bigger problems! Have you seen any mice dropping?

Old 09-24-16, 03:39 AM
Group Moderator
Most hardware cloth is galvanized so rust is not likely.

Old 09-24-16, 04:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unless you mesh your entire house, the mice (if present) will just go around it. I think there is too much of a worry factor for something that hasn't happened, yet. Covering the holes makes sense. Stuffing steel wool in the holes will keep them from entering the hole.

Old 09-25-16, 01:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All good advice above. Steel wool or copper mesh will work on smaller holes but the big opening under sink requires hardware cloth or equivalent.

It you want to buy copper mesh/screening, search for “copper stuff-it”. I’ve used it quite a bit. Can be balled up to stuff a hole, stretched out to seal narrow gaps. Can be cut with scissors, but beware that copper splinters fly off everywhere. I cut it while inside a bucket in order to catch the splinters.

I agree with keeping snap traps set 24/7 and keep the bait fresh.

Old 09-25-16, 01:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here are examples of stuff-it. Don’t know anything about the Excluder stuff but it looks interesting.

stuff it - Do It Yourself Pest Control