Rat control.

Old 04-04-18, 10:33 PM
Rat control.

Hey, i've got rats in the attic I think. I can hear them scratching on the ceiling at night and sometimes in the walls. I think I have located a traffic area for them where they can roam freely but it is behind a tricky to get to access panel. Traps would be a slow going pain because of accessing the area to check frequently would be super inconvenient so I am wondering about bait houses. Do rats typically die in your house when baited or do they go outside to die? I have pets as well which is also concerning if they yank the bait then stroll out into my kitchen for my cats to eat that wont be good. What should i do?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-18, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
Poisons are easy but there is a very good chance the critter will die somewhere inside the home causing a great stink. It is more work but trapping is the best way to catch/kill the critter and do it at a known location so you can remove the body before it smells.

Old 04-05-18, 09:10 AM
Is there a trap you would recommend? I know we have had deermice before but I think we are dealing with rats now.

Old 04-05-18, 01:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The rats could certainly die in the attic or wall voids from rodenticide. Dead mice odor doesnt last long but rat odor does.

Are you sure that it is rats and not squirrels?

The access panel that you refer to; is it an attic access? Is it in the ceiling? I'm not sure if I'm picturing this accurately.

Old 04-05-18, 07:04 PM
The access panel leads to a void behind the bathtub. It is in a closet in another room and the closet needs to be half emptied and screws removed to get at it. They are able to traverse up to the attic and down to other areas of the house from there. I saw a little rodent bed in there once and sprayed it all up with mint spray in the interim. I am not positive it's nit squirrels. The droppings pics i have looked at online for rat and squirrel droppings are very similar. If it is squirrels does this change the plan? I know we have squirrels around the property and I know we have had deer mice in the house but that was years ago and I thought all their entry points were closed up. I have never seen rats always just figured squirrels lived in trees or something.

Old 04-06-18, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is there attic access? In any case, go outside, using binoculars, and inspect the soffits, vents, etc for any sign of unusual openings or damage. That would indicate squirrels usually but not impossible for rats. What state are you in? Roof rats are oriented towards the higher parts of structures and trees but are limited to certain states.

Old 04-06-18, 10:55 AM
I am in NY state. Upstate.

Old 04-30-18, 03:44 AM
It shouldn't be hard to cut an access panel into the attic from a hallway or bedroom. Search a how to do it, and if it's beyond your skill set, it shouldn't be too expensive to have it done. Once you're able to get up there, look for evidence of what your dealing with, i.e.,droppings, nesting material,etc.
I too am upstate and in my case, it was bats.