Turd in the attic

Old 12-02-18, 04:32 AM
Turd in the attic

So this has me stumped!

Rearranging some boxes in the attic yesterday and there it was, a dark black dried turd in the corner, Inspected the entire attic, nothing disturbed, torn, or ripped up!

Checked out the bonus room. unfinished attic like room above the garage (the two attics are connected but have cardboard between the joists to hold back the cellulose insulation) and there was a second one!

We have a 14 pound dog and turds are similar size so that clearly rules out mice and squirrel, thinking raccoon!

Inspected entire house and garage, nothing missing, torn or open.

House is all brick, some vinyl on second floor, no roof vents just ridge vents. No overhanging trees so had to come from ground, Garage is fully drywalled, no openings. All vinyl is intact, nothing missing, no holes viable.

Something was up there, at least two times, considering size a fairly large opening would be necessary, where else could this thing be getting in at?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-18, 05:15 AM
Here is a link with some photos of larger droppings, it's a start.
Black/Brown Droppings Identification

Add Opossums to your list and maybe a snake (we hope not).

Bud

Old 12-02-18, 07:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it possible that your dog did in fact get into the attic at one time or another?

This has confused more than one homeowner and pest control operator over the years (read:me).

Could these droppings possibly be from when the house was built and would have been more open? Just throwing ideas out there.

My experience with animals in attics that are squirrel sized and above is that there will be indisputable visible evidence of stored boxes ripped/shredded, insulation moved/dragged/scattered, musk type smell, etc.

Old 12-02-18, 07:34 AM
I've had skunks get into my garage when the door was left open and get trapped when I closed it. When I discovered them I just left the door open and they found their way out. Is there access into both attics from your garage? May have been just a one night visit.

Bud

Old 12-02-18, 08:09 AM
The raccoon droppings look the closest, two attics are closed off so dogs cant get in there.

The attics are connected, bonus is above garage, attic is above second floor but there is cardboard across the access point to hold cellulose insulation in place and nothing is disturbed,

Dropping occurred when built? An early thought but the one area I clean up dead bugs every spring so at least one has been since then. The area above the garage gets a lot of bugs and wasps that accumulate at the dormer windows and die. The area is not air tight but no big openings.

Garage is drywalled, I did another walk around everything is solid.

I inspected all the ridge vents from the inside, everything intact.

The only thing I can think of is maybe where the roof lines merge, something overlapping which cant be seen from the ground but have looked everywhere in the attics.

But again, no trees so something would have to climb the wall or up a gutter.

Might call a local critter control to see if they do inspections, clearly I'm overlooking something!

Old 12-02-18, 12:11 PM
Found a third, this area is above the front porch which is open to the bonus room above the garage!

Neatly displayed on a board, Its the gift that just keeps giving!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1543777862

Attached Images