Crows pecking on roof - how to get rid of them?

Old 02-04-20, 12:04 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crows pecking on roof - how to get rid of them?

So in the last 3 mo or so, someone in the neighborhood is feeding peanuts to crows. I know this because I see broken peanut shells around my house and in my gutters.

Also, crows come up every morning to my roof to crack the peanuts. I dont know how much damage this is causing my roof but I need it to stop.

Any ideas on how to get the crows off my roof? They only come up early in the morning like 7-9am. I dont know who in the neighborhood is feeding them peanuts and I probably will never find out. I just need to get these crows from damaging my roof.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-20, 04:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 392 Posts
Do you live in the country or city? Crows are very intelligent and if one or two suddenly die (say from a pellet) the rest soon learn that that is a dangerous place and will avoid the area. You have to be very crafty about it though as they will learn to fly away when you are outside but will return when you are not around, so the cause of death must arrive without warning.

Old 02-04-20, 05:40 AM
Received 168 Votes on 153 Posts
I'm not sure PD's suggestion is correct at this point in time.

You should be able to tell from where they are coming from. It shouldn't be that hard. If one person is feeding them they must gather at one location and then fly from that one location. And I'm betting it's close by.

Once you find the culprit I would talk to them in a friendly manner and explain that feeding wildlife is not a good thing. If that fails the next step is to contact the local gov't agencies and see IF there are any rules to curb the person from feeding (such as causing rats to come and scavenge).

One of the problems is that crows have no real natural enemies in today's urban areas. Birds also can carry disease. If you see any dead crows that is a sure sign of a problem. You might contact your local farm extension and see if they have any suggestions.

If all this fails Then perhaps PD's suggestion might come into play. But be careful, even a pellet gun can cause fear among certain people. You don't want to cause a "political" situation.

Do a Google on how to control crows. Several options available.

Just a comment...Our store sells a lot of bird food. It seems to a be money maker. So I can't say too much, but what is wrong with people? The same people who buy all this unprocessed bird $h*t, will come back a week later and buy all kinds of rat poison and traps and complain about it! And they complain about deer eating all there shrubs and causing damage.

Old 02-04-20, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 90 Votes on 70 Posts
I'm going to guess you live in a populated city, so shooting off pellet guns is probably illegal. I wouldn't go there.
Could be the neighbor is feeding squirrels or other critters and not crows and the crows are just stealing them. Who would feed crows?

I also moved your post since this is not actually a roofing issue.

Old 02-04-20, 06:07 AM
Who would feed crows?
Who indeed? I agree with Shadie, it's most likely not crows being fed but other rodents. Why or why do people thing squirrels are cute? They're worse than rats.

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 02-04-20, 06:43 AM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
All good comments, but crows and peanuts? If all else fails, try satay.

Old 02-04-20, 06:47 AM
Tony,
What is it and how will it help?

Old 02-04-20, 08:56 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks everyone for your advice.

I live in the suburbs and gun solution won't work as people will freak out in my area and probably call the cops.

I think whoever said the person is not feeding crows but some other animal and the crows are taking that stash is probably right.

I haven't got up on the roof yet but not sure what damage has been done. I've read about getting a plastic owl but seems like that option isn't one that always works. I'll probably go to the local hardware store and see what they have to say.

Old 02-04-20, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
I have a plastic owl and it’s just decoration because they all laugh at it!

Old 02-04-20, 09:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 392 Posts
Decoys rarely work, especially with a more intelligent bird. Unless you move the decoy very frequently the birds will soon figure out that it's a fake. Also, owl's don't normally perch out in the open especially during daylight so an owl sitting on your roof would look out of place to a crow. Crows even become accustomed to field cannons and other noise makers. There are some electronic bird repellers that might work. They play a variety of sounds and at varying times to scare birds away.

Where exactly are the birds perching on your roof? How steep is your roof pitch?

Old 02-04-20, 09:51 AM
C
Received 55 Votes on 44 Posts
Smile

You might check with your local police. I live in a suburban area where gun use is restricted in much of the town. However, there is no restriction on pellet and BB guns. As PD posted, crows are smart (for a bird). I think if you shoot a couple the rest will get the message and leave your roof.

I don't think an owl decoy would be effective. I have had an owl decoy in my garden for years. Birds use it as a perch. However, owls and crows are natural enemies. We used to use a stuffed owl decoy when shooting crows. Pair that with a crow in distress call and they would show up by the hundreds. We shot the crows because otherwise they would descend on a newly planted field and just about pick it clean. Plus it was good wing shooting practice for the fall pheasant season.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-08-20, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
So was reading some interesting info, if anyone's interested.

Blue Jays like peanuts, so could be the neighbors are actually feeding them.

Crows are a protected bird, so killing, harming or catching them will send you to jail. Who knew?

Trapping and relocating them is the only other way to get rid of them, but it's best to call animal control to do it because an authority has to be present and also, crows remember faces so if you trapped them, they might come back to terrorize you!

Old 02-08-20, 11:34 AM
Great shades of Shades of Alfred Hitchock

Old 02-08-20, 12:12 PM
C
"Crows are a protected bird, so killing, harming or catching them will send you to jail."

That is not correct. Crows fall under the Migratory Bird Act. Laws regulating the killing of crows vary from state to state. Just because they are listed as a migratory bird does not mean they can't be hunted or killed (just ask a goose). Although they are listed as a "migratory songbird" they are the only "songbird" that may be killed.

Crows are marginally protected in some areas, less so in others. In Vermont (where I grew up) for instance, there are two separate open hunting seasons, adding up to more than 6 months, where an unlimited number of crows may be killed. Here in CT the hunting season lasts 5 months intermittently and there is no bag limit.

Crows are a common, non threatened species. In some places they may be killed without respect to a hunting season if they are "causing damage or constituting a health hazard or nuisance"

Last edited by cwbuff; 02-08-20 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-08-20, 12:31 PM
C
A "Murder" of crows. Google it

Old 02-08-20, 12:35 PM
C
" . . . .why do people thing squirrels are cute? They're worse than rats."

I agree. Nothing more than a bushy tailed tree rat.

Norm201 voted this post useful.