Moles in house

Old 02-04-20, 01:07 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Moles in house

I've had a few moles in my basement this winter always in the same area. My home has a poured concrete foundation. An addition to the house has a crawl space that I believe does not have a concrete slab. Could the moles tunnel through that soil and then some how into the basement of the house? Any solutions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-20, 01:14 PM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Moles can fit into small spaces. It's best to find how they get in and seal it. There are traps and poisons that can be used outside but I believe it's best to leave them alone outside if they aren't a problem there.

Old 02-05-20, 05:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Are you sure that they are moles? That is unusual behavior for moles; I've never experienced them inside a structure.

Is the basement dirt floor?

Can you describe the evidence (or show pics) that you are seeing?

Old 02-05-20, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 292 Posts
Have you actually seen or captured moles? I would suspect mice first. If you have moles their tunnels are pretty easy to find and I have never seen a mole or vole go through, under or over a homes foundation. Mice will climb and can find their way in through a very tiny opening and love to come inside buildings in winter.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 02-06-20, 05:27 AM
The basement is a concrete floor but the crawl space under the addition is dirt. The addition is attached to basement and that where the moles appear. The exterminator has caught 2 moles since Nov. There are no signs of droppings. He is also baffled since its unusual for moles to enter homes. We have someone who is going to make an opening into the crawl space to check it out and probably concrete over the dirt. I expect that he should see the soil raised where the moles have tunnel under.

Old 02-06-20, 06:44 AM
johnam, could you please explain the crawlspace attached to basement situation. Have you found a way for moles to get from the crawlspace into the basement? Unlike mice, moles can't climb beyond their body length so it could be impossible for them to get into the basement from the crawlspace if the foundation is more than 6-8 inches high.

My suggestion remains the same, find how they're getting in and seal it. (If moles can get in so can mice.) Check around your foundation outside up to 6-8" above ground and you should find your entry.

One last thought, did you bring anything into the basement from outside that could have had moles in it?

Old 02-06-20, 08:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it possible that the pest control operator is saying "vole" but it's sounding more like "mole"? One time a landlord sent me to a property for "moles", but it turns out that the word "mold" sounded like "moles" on the phone to the landlord.

It's always a good practice to have access to any and all crawl spaces if for no other reason than to inspect/monitor for moisture conditions, air infiltration, radon, drooping insulation, etc. I'd go slow on concreting the floor until you understand this rodent issue better. It's an expensive "fix" that may not help or matter. Otherwise, vapor barrier and stones may solve moisture/dampness issues if present.

Keep us posted.

Old 02-06-20, 03:53 PM
From inside the basement, where the moles were seen, we can see the sill plate and band joist which is about 3 to 4 feet above the ground of the addition. If the moles are in the crawl space, they would have to climb that distance. We closed any openings with expanding foam.
We check the exterior foundation, no openings from the ground to the siding. Didn't bring them into house from the outside. Thanks for all you suggestions. Will keep you posted.

Old 02-10-20, 05:48 AM
Napa, welcome. Going forward you may get more focused responses by creating a new OP for a new topic.

In answer to your question, vacuum and wipe down the closet interior. If possible, replace interior with cedar. Search garments for an infestation. Going forward, store only clean garments and take extra care if you purchase anything used. Possibly try a moth trap but users have mixed results.

Old 02-10-20, 09:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Nappa, please start a new thread as that helps us to keep topics in focus better. Looking forward to your post.

Old 02-19-20, 08:39 PM
We had a contractor take a look today he found that this room was once an open deck which was converted to an enclosed living space. The floor in the crawl space is an broken-up slate patio and the 3 sides are enclosed with 2 X 4's, plywood, styrofoam and vinyl siding that goes below the soil line. Obviously this is poor construction and a good way for rodents to enter. They want to replace the 3 sides with concrete footings and cement block and cover the floor with a vapor barrier and gravel. Besides making a proper foundation, will all this work correct the problem of rodents getting in? Any thoughts?

Old 02-20-20, 04:59 AM
They want to replace the 3 sides with concrete footings and cement block and cover the floor with a vapor barrier and gravel. Besides making a proper foundation, will all this work correct the problem of rodents getting in? Any thoughts?
Isn't this a question for the contractor. While correcting structural issues may be beneficial, I don't see these changes having an impact on your problem - assuming you actually had moles and not something else like young mice.

Old 02-20-20, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 292 Posts
I still believe you have something other than moles. Has their entry path into your home been found?

If your contractor is considering proper footers whose bottom would be approx 24" below grade or more topped with a masonry wall then that would definetely keep out voles as they tend to stay close to the surface. Moles however tend to dig deeper. You haven't told us where you are located which would give us an idea how deep footers would be located. Here in my part of NC the top of the footer must be at least 12" below grade. As you move into colder climates footers must be deeper which will offer more mole protection. I think if the bottom of the footer is about 36-42" below grade you'd be mostly safe but I'm not a mole expert. If you do some research you should be able to find how deep they dig.

Old 02-20-20, 05:37 AM
Exterminator said they were moles. With the new foundation being 3' below ground with no openings between the cement block and the siding, how would moles get in unless they tunnel under the foundation.

Old 02-20-20, 07:11 AM
Exterminator said they were moles. With the new foundation being 3' below ground with no openings between the cement block and the siding, how would moles get in unless they tunnel under the foundation.
I'm trying to be helpful, not difficult John, but I don't see it. I can't follow how a mole can get into your basement from the crawlspace unless you have a crack or hole in the foundation. And if you do have an entry, eliminating seems a lot simpler than what you may be undertaking. As I've said before, moles can't climb beyond their body length.

Old 02-20-20, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE][I still believe you have something other than moles. Has their entry path into your home been found?/QUOTE]
Can only go by what the exterminator found. He has looked for obvious entries and found none. I'm sure now that they got into the crawl space under the poor wall that encloses the space under the room. Once they get into the crawl space I don't know how they can get into the basement. Thanks for your thoughts

Old 02-20-20, 02:23 PM
Tony P, I agree with you totally since I don't see it either. I really don't know what to do. This actually my sister-in-laws house, who is not comfortable living with this situation. I wouldn't do the new foundation but it's her house. Thanks for your input.