Smart Rat

Old 03-25-20, 08:41 AM
H
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Smart Rat

I have rats in my crawl space. I can remove a deck board and put a snap trap in their pathway where pets can't access. The rat(s) have eaten the peanut butter without tripping the trap and have also tripped it without being executed. Any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-20, 01:06 PM
Received 141 Votes on 128 Posts
Use the poison as long as the pets can't get to it.

Old 03-25-20, 02:23 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Rats are neophobic, meaning that they fear new things and will avoid them for a while. Mice on the other hand are not. Possibly mice are setting off the traps, not getting caught and licking the peanut butter off. Mice are good enough that they can lick the bait off without triggering it as well. Just my thoughts on the possibilities.

When I was an active pest control operator we were heavily into using rodenticide as it worked well. Traps are time and labor intensive but trapping is the way the industry is going. I like the "soft baits" and the "bait blocks" rather than pellets or meal.

Rodent trapping strategy today is to be setting multiple snap traps with a variety of bait. Now, this will seem counter-logical but operators are baiting the traps but not setting them (remember neophobic) so the rats confidently eat off of them. After a period of time determined by the trapper, the traps are "set" and hopefully results occur.

If you use rodenticide, make sure that non-target animals don't get to it. Cats aren't a problem but dogs are. Keep us posted.

Old 03-27-20, 12:00 PM
H
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Thanks PA

That was a neat tutorial. I'll try the baiting but not setting the traps. I would never have
thought of that. Your point that mice might be licking off the bait may also be spot on. I
assume the rat traps are designed for more trip force than the smaller mouse traps.
Regarding poison, my wife thinks Warfarin is an inhumane death for the rodents and that
birds of prey might feed on the poisoned carcass. I really don't care how the rat dies.

PAbugman voted this post useful.