Small Animal Outdoor Sensor

Old 04-23-20, 06:10 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Small Animal Outdoor Sensor

Looking for sensor that will detect squirrels and woodchucks in my garden and scare them away.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-20, 06:34 AM
M
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
The sensor is not a problem as a motion sensor will do the job.

The scaring away is the problem.
No matter what you do re: noise, something moving etc. they get used to it and will ignore it.

Old 04-23-20, 07:19 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 22 Posts
Do a search for "scary man scarecrow" and related searches and read about it. I read a little and even with the animation and motion some birds still get used to it. Don't know about squirrels and animals. They appear to be on timers, but maybe some have motion sensors. I know there are motion sensors that turn water hoses on as I've walked into them on customers' property when they forgot that they were installed. They worked well, at least as far as getting the bug guy wet.

https://www.msschippers.com/scary-ma...v-2408135.html

Last edited by PAbugman; 04-23-20 at 07:19 AM. Reason: add website
Old 05-28-20, 02:35 PM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Very timely posts....I have been "struggling" with squirrels and cheap-monks; they dig in my perfect lawn, mess up my mulch bed and damage my flowers and plants.
I tried the coyote urine (they get used to it) , rat poison (they don't take it) etc...etc...
Only time I see them run is when I or somebody else steps outside and simply scares them....which actually gave me an idea.

The small all terrain RC vehicles are cheap .... you can get one for less than $35
So I bet there is cheap technology already available to make a simple box with lights that can have a motion sensor attached and one could buy 2-3 of them and just leave them out in the yard..... the sensor could be adjustable for height and distance and as soon as it detects a vermin - it would simply ride 10 -20 feet to scare it.

I would imagine that after a few weeks of this non-stop "harassment " you may actually see them go around your property or the least - you'd stop getting your lawn and flower beds all dug up

Do we have any hobbits here who would want to convert a cheap RC vehicle ??

I actually would pay for this....

Old 05-28-20, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 830 Votes on 777 Posts
Doubtful that will chase them. They are especially abundant in NJ this year. They are tearing the sh*t out of everything. They love birdseed. They will eat mice poison. They don't like cats..... hint.

I have a custom built little shed built around my pool filter. Maybe 6'x6'. The filter and pump sit on a prefab poured cement base. The little b*stards dug all the dirt out from under the pad. the dirt was piled up the sides of the shed. The pad wasn't sitting level and the toughest part is that the filter is plumbed in to the pool. I wasn't about to cut all the plumbing. I was able to backfill and tamp everything. Quite a job. That's when I discovered they take the mice poison.

Old 05-28-20, 07:15 PM
P
PJ... LOL.... actually I know it's not funny.... those SoB's are really vengeful and it seems the more I chase them, the more they mess with me.
I do believe you and think they will eat rat poison....I just don't think it really affects them..... I have had some with tasty lure and never found any of them dead....I did find a few mice though....which was a good results after all.

I actually think the remote RC trucks would work.... I might. for now, just buy one from Target or Walmart....about $40 and control it from my house while the RC vehicle would be outside on my lawn....sure easier than pounding on the windows to scare the *******s away....if this works I will then look into attaching a motion sensor and working with somebody to hack it so that the sensor would activate the RC truck

Old 06-05-20, 08:49 AM
P
BTW.... anyone tried cayenne peppers etc?
I can't eat really hot food anymore and still have a grounded super hot peppers..... may try to "treat" some of the mulch and plant beds and see if it keeps them away and for how long....

Old 06-05-20, 09:17 AM
M
Received 132 Votes on 123 Posts
It is worth a try.
Problem is that it will wash away.

Perhaps something like this may work if hooked to some type of sprinkler.
Problem is that you have to see them to use it.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-B-...1830/312203262