Hardware cloth underground

Old 06-25-20, 09:24 AM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Hardware cloth underground

[Please move if this thread is located incorrectly.] An animal burrowed under an attached, ground level (not on a slab) shed - most likely mice or rats. My plan to rid them includes digging a trench (8" deep and 12" wide) around the perimeter, attaching galvanized roofing vertically to 8" below the shed wall, and adding 1/4" 23 gauge galvanized hardware cloth horizontally around the shed 12" wide at a depth underground of 8"

Please comment as you'd like on the plan. My main concern is burying the galvanized roofing and hardware cloth underground. Should I use copper, instead?

Thanks

Last edited by Tony P.; 06-25-20 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-20, 11:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 448 Posts
If you can find it I would use hot dip galvanized as it will hold up much better then electro plated zinc. Copper would be nice but a bit on the expensive side for what you are doing.

Old 06-25-20, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 152 Votes on 136 Posts
The thicker mesh you can buy the longer it will last. I buried chicken wire in the ground and it only lasts about 5-8 years in my area.

Old 06-25-20, 03:29 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
For the smaller rodents that is probably deep enough but not for groundhogs if they are an issue. Otherwise, I would want to be sure that air can circulate and change underneath the shed.

Old 06-27-20, 04:13 AM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
For the smaller rodents that is probably deep enough but not for groundhogs if they are an issue. Otherwise, I would want to be sure that air can circulate and change underneath the shed.
Thanks for this and all responses. I'm confident the two holes (on sides of the shed) are too small for groundhogs. Each is approx. 3"X3". In terms of air circulation, would I be better served by just attaching 1/4" hardware cloth "L" shaped: down vertically 8" and underground 12" away from the shed. I know the galvanized roofing is overkill, but I want to do this only once and I may be doing more harm than good.

Last edited by Tony P.; 06-27-20 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-27-20, 07:29 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
The pressure treated lumber in the shed structure can probably tolerate moisture, but the flooring probably isn't pt wood. Even if it is, the potential for mold/mildew/fungus would concern me. I like for structures, foundations, undersides, etc to be able to dry out. Dryness solves and prevents chronic problems.

I personally would be leaning towards only hardware cloth so that air circulates. I've seen exclusion work of this nature and the trenches would be back filled with small, loose stones to further discourage burrowing as the stones will collapse on themselves, hopefully discouraging burrowing attempts. Otherwise, with a soil filled trench, future burrowing will happen until they hit the hardware cloth.