Can Chipmunks/Squirrels Dig Up These Pebbles?

Old 07-06-20, 05:36 AM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can Chipmunks/Squirrels Dig Up These Pebbles?

Hi All,

I live in northern NJ, and the chipmunks and squirrels (mostly chipmunks) are really upping their game and trying to replace humans. They've been digging tunnels everywhere - from outside my garden down and back up into my garden; from outside, under my foundation and up into the garage (they found a little hole in the foundation and have worked to widen it); etc. They also apparently live under my shed and under our front porch (where I can't get at them). They also dig dozens of holes throughout my lawn and mulched garden beds.

I've used the have-a-heart traps and have caught 1 squirrel and 7 chipmunks over the course of 3 or 4 days, and then driven them about 3 miles away (and to the other side of the highway - I can't imagine they are crossing an elevated highway to get back to me!). I've also gotten one of those ultrasonic sound boxes from Home Depot that is supposed to be an annoyance for rodents, altho I don't know if that's really just a gimmick.

Anyway, is there any chance that they could have dug up big piles of pebbles/stones? I moved my grill away from the house the other day and found this pile back there. I can't imagine it can be anything else causing it, but I also don't know where they can be finding all these pebbles/stones.

Thoughts? Thoughts on what I can do? My neighbor is getting so annoyed with them he's thinking of using a bucket of water with a plank w/food at the end to drown them. I'd rather just force them away.

So, 2 questions: 1) is it possible that these stones/pebbles are dug up by squirrels and/or chipmunks? 2) anyone have any ideas that I can try? I'm really willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-20, 09:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
They may have laid stone under foundation before it was poured. Don't know of any other reason they would be there. Busy critters aren't they

Old 07-06-20, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 931 Votes on 868 Posts
Chipmunks will dig in rock just as easily as dirt. This a banner year for them.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-06-20 at 03:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-20, 02:55 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Chipmunks are bad in lots of places this year. In my outbuildings I'm using rat snap traps, not mouse traps, with a peanut in the shell wired onto trigger with soft wire. A large bread bag tie should work well, too. When using the traps outdoors, you may want to hide them well so non-targets animals are less likely. Put the grill back in place with snap traps under/behind and see what happens.

Old 07-07-20, 05:26 AM
O
Thanks for the info all. So is the general consensus that I should kill them with rat snap traps? Or will trapping them and moving them several miles away across a highway be enough?

Do I need to worry about all those pebbles? Makes sense that it would be under the foundation, based on where they are (there is no other place they could have gotten them from).

Thanks again!

Old 07-07-20, 09:11 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Use multiple trapping strategies. Pro wildlife trappers are big on the multiple trap strategy. With the snap traps, when I want to trap outdoors I'll put a plastic milk crate over top of it and weight down with bricks, etc. That minimizes non-target/pet exposure as rodents will easily run through the crates webbing.

Old 07-10-20, 07:09 AM
O
So I got a rat trap to catch them, I still have the hav-a-heart trap to catch them, and I got something called MoleMax which apparently helps to drive them away.

I have now discovered that the damage is apparently pretty extensive. I was walking in the back patio (just a few feet away from where the last picture was taken), and my foot depressed one of the pavers, and it fell in. I then removed the paver and looked underneath - it looks like they have removed much of the dirt and have built their own little palace dungeon down there. I'm putting two pictures below. (I know its hard to see underneath the other pavers, but it looks like they've dug under what I can see. I honestly don't know how other pavers aren't falling in.

Any idea what I do now? ::sigh:: (Also, I apologize if this is now mis-posted, but its flowing naturally - at least in my mind - from my earlier post.)

Thanks again.

Old 07-10-20, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 931 Votes on 868 Posts
Your post is exactly where it should be.
Chipmunks love to borrow and what better place then under the pavers where there's lots of sand and loose dirt. There must be entrance/exit holes around the patio because they need to carry out the fill.

A quick story....
I have a small pool filter shed.... about 6'x6'. During the off season/winter ... the chipmunks dug their way in and then completely dug out under the cement pad that holds the tank and pump. They had the dirt piled up against one side of the shed. Luckily the tank was empty or all the plumbing would have been broken. What a job to refill under the pad. The plumbing to the filter is pretty extensive and can only be cut out and replaced.

Old 07-10-20, 09:33 AM
O
Hi PJ,

That sound exactly like what happened to me. This sounds like its going to be expensive to fix.

On the bright side, the rat trap was effective within like 30 minutes. Just another 50 or so to go!

Its incredible how bad they are here (I think from previous conversations with you, I'm something like 30 minutes north of you in NJ).

Thanks again.

Old 07-10-20, 09:38 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Keep multiple traps/strategies going; it's what I would do. Chipmunks are bad in lots of places this year; not your fault (little consolation, I know).