Any Possum repellant?

Old 07-16-20, 10:24 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Any Possum repellant?

There are squirrels, raccoons and possums living in my neighbors properties just on the other side of our back fence. I only now saw a large possum in our tool shed which I thought was blocked.

The way the guy had built the customized shed for me makes it now impossible to get the back of the side piece where we keep the shovels, rake e.t.c. Is there anything I can put in there which will keep them away please?

Old 07-16-20, 12:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
You need to seal up openings where they are getting in. We can't see your shed but I can't imagine how you have a shed where you can't access all four walls from either inside or out.

Old 07-16-20, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
They love to eat all the mosquitos and other insects, so they're actually good to have around. Can't you just put a piece of board there?

Old 07-16-20, 01:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I've always heard that possums eat ticks, didn't know about the mosquitos.

Posting a pic or at least a better description would help us to understand what you have going on. Unless it's just a lean to a shed should be sealed up well enough to keep critters out.
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Old 07-16-20, 03:37 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
I can't imagine anything that would repel an opossum, considering what they eat and how they live. Opossums cannot squeeze through small openings, so if it's getting into your shed, there must be an obvious entry point somewhere. They are easy to live trap, especially inside a structure so you won't catch non-targets such as cats, skunks, etc. They are fairly docile though they will hiss and carry on like little monsters. I've simply grabbed them on occasion with well gloved hands, behind the head and tail and carried them out to a trap or trash can for removal. As far as I know, they still don't get rabies though I'll stand corrected if someone knows otherwise.

Old 07-16-20, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
I was going to suggest a moat filled with molten lava but it doesnt seem too practical. LOL

Old 07-16-20, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
You're probably right, Mark. I just remember it was one of those pesky bugs.

Old 07-17-20, 03:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
They are fairly docile though they will hiss and carry on like little monsters.
About 25 yrs ago I had a 'possum evict my dog out of his doghouse. It was an early winter morning, colder than most. I went on the porch for firewood and noticed the dog barking. At first I thought he wanted in from the cold but then I realized he was barking at the inside of his doghouse. When I went over there all I saw by the moonlight was teeth ..... so I unchained the dog. When morning came I had to turn the doghouse on it's end to evict the possum.

Old 07-17-20, 06:56 AM
T
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Keeping an opossum away is both difficult and unnecessary. They can get through fairly small holes (only a few inches) so close up all openings you can find. Also, place a one foot strip of 1" hardware wire along the ground around the perimeter. But, get the critter out first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: