Mice behind vinyl siding

Old 07-21-20, 06:10 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mice behind vinyl siding

hello,

other than taking It down, how would you suggest I get rid of mice behind the vinyl siding. I consistently hear them behind the corner piece. I tried dropping poison pellets behind last year, but no luck.

do you think they come outside at night? Could I set up traps? Is there a liquid residual killer? Do I need to go to the attic? Avoiding that, as itís in the opposite corner from the attic opening, and the insulation is DEEP.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-20, 07:13 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
When you dropped pellets down from the top; do you mean from up near the soffit area? If so, didn't they simply fall through to the ground below or is the bottom of corner piece closed?

I've baited behind vinyl siding in the past by using bait blocks that I cut/hack sawed to fit. I've always had better acceptance with the bait blocks over the pellets as many of my pro friends do too. With horizontal siding I could usually work pieces up and behind the bottom piece; I don't know about vertical.

I would think the mice have to come out at some point to get food. Are there bird feeders, pet food dishes, etc nearby?

I would avoid the attic, too. With that much insulation you're not going to see much without great effort that may cause more harm than good. I'd be tempted to at least inspect in and under the insulation in the area of the access though, for curiosity's sake.

Snap traps are good except when using outdoors anything can get into them. Consider if the repeating mouse traps might work. This is an example of the style that I like. No winding up springs which will fail soon enough. No mechanical action other than counter balance ramps.

https://search.domyown.com/search?w=rodent traps&apelog=yes

Old 07-21-20, 07:22 AM
Z
Thanks. Pellets did not fall through, itís closed at the bottom with either trim or the railing.

ill gonna try some bait blocks and traps.

no bird feeders near by. We have a dog, she eats homemade food. Weíve never seen any droppings or chew marks. I just hear the mice when Iím outside on the deck.

Old 07-21-20, 08:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 534 Votes on 491 Posts
Are you certain the mice are inside the vinyl corner, especially since you've never seen evidence of them? Since you were on the deck it is possible they are somewhere else; under the deck, in the soffit...

---
I once had a snake get up in vinyl corner trim. I set up some 500 watt quarts lights and space heaters aimed at the area (careful not to damage the vinyl). Eventually the heat became too much and out it came.

Old 07-21-20, 10:25 AM
Z
Iím quite certain, you can hear squeaking and when I bang on the vinyl you can here it scurry away.

Old 07-31-20, 05:50 AM
Z
Iíve set up 3 snap traps along the area of the siding. Baited with peanut butter. For 3 nights in a row, the peanut butter was licked clean. Last night, I hot glued dog food kibble to the traps. No traps were set up but there was droppings in the area.

why arenít the traps going off with peanut butter? Iíve putting them perpendicular to the wall.

Old 07-31-20, 06:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 270 Votes on 239 Posts
I've had a few mice along the years that were expert at licking off the bait without springing the trap [I also use peanut butter] but sooner or later they get caught in the trap. I assume they get over confident.

Old 07-31-20, 06:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
If you hear squeaking, it's more likely to be bats.

Old 07-31-20, 07:36 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Two possibilities are that insects are eating the pbutter, but more likely the mice are licking it off. Happened to me in my outbuilding. Tie small piece of cotton onto the trigger and smear pbutter on the cotton. They try to lick and eventually bite into it. Since the mice are "pre-baited" from earlier, you may get action quickly.

Practice when the traps are empty to see just how "light" you can set them. The traps I've bought recently are not the higher quality I'm used to.

Old 07-31-20, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
The traps I've bought recently are not the higher quality I'm used to.
You can say it..... they're built like crap.
You need to bend the catch part so that just breathing on the pad will trip them.
It's a mean world and it's them or us.

PAbugman voted this post useful.
Old 08-03-20, 06:40 PM
Z
We set up a wild life camera to ďcatchĒ the action. It rained all night, and the PB was untouched. Will try again.

Old 08-03-20, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Question..... they are just behind the vinyl..... not in the house...correct ?

Old 08-03-20, 07:00 PM
Z
No sign in the living area. Havenít gone up to the attic. Attic access is at the other end of a long bungalow and the insulation is pretty deep up there. R50

Old 08-03-20, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks..... just curious.

I have a split level home and I'm getting mice only in the upper attic. They don't travel any where else in the house or to the other bigger attic. My house has the original wooden shakes and the vinyl siding was installed over that. I thought they may have been traveling behind the vinyl siding but I can't see how they could get thru the wooden siding.