How to keep squirrels out of Hickory Tree

Old 09-03-20, 01:34 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to keep squirrels out of Hickory Tree

Has anyone here tried anything like this: https://www.welcomewildlife.com/tree...fle-squirrels/

or https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...W--_Q6VbVmoWnM

or anything else that might work to keep squirrels from climbing a hickory tree and eating/knocking down the nuts?

Thank you.

Popular Reply

09-04-20, 05:42 AM
PAbugman
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
If the baffle is flared out enough, installed high enough, it probably would work. However, if there are trees nearby that allow jumping access, then no.

In any case, the hickory nuts are coming down, squirrels or no. The article mentions squirrels chewing on bark and defoliating the trees. Here where we live in PA we are surrounded by gray squirrels and trees. They don't chew the bark and I'm not aware that they defoliate. Various caterpillars are defoliating right now, but this time of year the trees don't need their leaves anyway. Springtime defoliation on a large scale by animals/insects/larvae can be a problem if it happens several years in a row, but fall time defoliation is not a problem.

Old 09-03-20, 01:40 PM
Received 498 Votes on 462 Posts
Your joking right??

If not get some and let us know how they work!

Old 09-03-20, 02:03 PM
C
Received 138 Votes on 111 Posts
" . . . or anything else that might work to keep squirrels from climbing a hickory tree and eating/knocking down the nuts?"

Pellet gun. Safe, reasonably effective and fairly accurate.

1WVBonBonQueen voted this post useful.
Old 09-03-20, 03:04 PM
And the upside to this method, DINNER, if squirrel season is where you live and when you shoot them. LOL
I have never heard of something like this, and if you stop them from climbing the tree, if there is a tree nearby, they will climb up that tree, jump over to the Hickory tree.

Old 09-04-20, 05:42 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
If the baffle is flared out enough, installed high enough, it probably would work. However, if there are trees nearby that allow jumping access, then no.

In any case, the hickory nuts are coming down, squirrels or no. The article mentions squirrels chewing on bark and defoliating the trees. Here where we live in PA we are surrounded by gray squirrels and trees. They don't chew the bark and I'm not aware that they defoliate. Various caterpillars are defoliating right now, but this time of year the trees don't need their leaves anyway. Springtime defoliation on a large scale by animals/insects/larvae can be a problem if it happens several years in a row, but fall time defoliation is not a problem.

1WVBonBonQueen, Dixie2012 voted this post useful.
Old 09-04-20, 05:56 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
You can't prevent nature from doing it's thing. I suggest you either cut the tree down or learn to live with it.

As my wife said, hickory trees and squirrels come as set.

Old 09-04-20, 06:42 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 58 Votes on 49 Posts
I don't think anyone here is intentionally being rude & I certainly don't intent to be rude, but I tend to agree that it is a rather "odd" project. I have several Hickory's in my yard & I can tell you, squirrels or not, they are going to fall.... and lots of them.
I can almost assure you that, generally speaking, no matter what you do, you're not going to stop a squirrel from getting in that tree. I can all but guarantee you, squirrels will find a way to get into that tree. As sure as there are squirrels & Hickory trees, they will become one.
I can tell you that a plastic bucket is no match for a squirrel. They'll chew a hole right through that & right back up the tree the same day (well maybe a day or two).

I know my post doesn't address your question of ideas of how to stop squirrels from getting into that tree, but quite honestly,
A) I dont think you will stop them from getting in the tree short of killing them
B) Hickory nuts are going to fall, squirrel or not. The yard is going to be full of hickory nuts.

I'm not sure of what your main goal is but:
Getting rid of the squirrels will not solve your nut problem on the ground.
However, getting rid of the tree will & is probably the only way to get rid of the nut issue.

So, I guess my first question is, what is your goal? Remove the squirrels or the hickory nut on the ground problem?

Old 09-04-20, 08:44 AM
I too wonder what the objective is, to keeping the squirrels out of the tree.
I love watching the squirrels get into our Black Walnut trees and harvest those nuts, watching them cross from one tree limb to another, and seeing them trying to sit and hull that walnut, afterwards going for another one.
Just soothing to me.
So I sure hope the original poster will enlighten us to what the objective is, to keeping the squirrels out of the tree.

Old 09-04-20, 09:04 AM
To me squirrels are rats with a cute face. Vermin none the less. Fine if they stay in the threes and not bother you. But GOD help you if they get into the house or roof. I would make sure the tree is far from the house and be sure all holes are sealed, especially at the roof.

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 09-04-20, 11:12 AM
Received 498 Votes on 462 Posts
After the squirrels tore down my wife's very new, and very pretty bird feeder from the arbor last week she finally gave me the go ahead to build the squirrel catapult that Ive wanted to build for a number of years. There are some Youtube videos out there.

It's going to be a winter project but it will have a remote control triggering device and go-pro camera so I will be sharing some posts on the progress!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 09-04-20, 02:49 PM
Looking forward that!

Old 09-06-20, 10:08 AM
Sorry your wife lost her bird feeder.

I find that most squirrels can defeat almost any contraption that is built to keep them out of what they want to get into.
I find that Squirrel are very tasty, we hunt them, clean them, cook them, cold-pack them into pint jars for when it isn't squirrel season.
I just have never heard of anyone who wanted to keep a Squirrel out of a Hickory Tree, sounds weird to me, but then again, I am different, I think different and react differently than what most people would react with different reactions.

Old 09-06-20, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
I've tried many feeders. There is one true squirrel proof one. This is the only one that I've ever used that the squirrels couldn't get into. The front perch bar is adjustably weighted. More than two-three birds perch on it and it closes. The weight of the squirrel will not allow it to open. They go nuts chewing on everything but cannot get in.

Old 09-07-20, 09:42 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I had one of these up for several years and the tree rats never defeated it, not once.

The catch was it was far enough from the nearest tree that it was well beyond their leaping abilities to jump the span. And mounting it on top of a clothes line pole made it too high to jump beyond the dome from the ground and if they climbed the clothes line pole their purchase options were too limited to get an angle to jump past the dome.

But it wasn't very entertaining. The skwerls would climb the clothes line pole, then just sit and look at it, puzzled-like. I took the dome off for a bit and sprayed the support pole with PAM anti-stick cooking spray. THAT was hilarious but wore off after two or three days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: