hole between the grass and back porch steps

Old 10-27-20, 08:16 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hole between the grass and back porch steps

Hi Everyone,

It's my first time posting here. I've seen a rat on my back yard and I see a recently-created gap between my back porch steps and the grass (see picture) - though it does
seem almost too small to fit in a rat. I am thinking of throwing a smoke bomb in there and then sealing the hole with something like https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-ST...3937/206977048

Does that make sense or is the sulfur smell from the smoke bomb going to somehow get into the house through the foundation or what not?

I am trying to keep the solution simple and not turn it into a whole project.

Thanks so much,
Alex

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-20, 02:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I would start by just filling the hole and noting whether it gets dug out again. If so, the timing of such might help identify the culprit or you could mount a camera to record activity. I would be dubious of a smoke bomb that close to the house, especially if it's one designed with a toxic smoke for pests as opposed to something of the fireworks family.

Old 10-28-20, 06:29 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
The "smoke bombs" that I'm familiar with and the ones I just looked up use a combo of chemicals that make it a crude form of gunpowder. Years ago we used a lot of them in ground hog holes at a place I worked at with mixed results. Too much fire and smoke to be that close to a house, even though it is under a small slab.

I like the idea of covering the hole first to confirm activity. Use loosely stuffed newspaper in the hole as backing, then cover with a layer of dirt. Don't overdo it as this is just temporary, maybe. If no activity then seal it off better though I don't think expanding foam will seal the gap between soil and cement. I'd jam a rock or two in there and cover with dirt.

Old 10-28-20, 06:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Once you've sure there is no activity, I'd make a concrete slurry and pour it into the hole.

Old 10-29-20, 07:25 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow, thanks for your quick and helpful responses, everyone. I am going to go ahead and try the temporary stuffing first to confirm activity - seems like all three of you think it's a good idea.