She's stealing my Tomcats bait!

Old 10-28-20, 05:17 AM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
She's stealing my Tomcats bait!

My wife;s car sits unused most of the time so a RAT has taken up residence under the hood. We noticed the car cover has been badly damaged in one area and looked under the hood. Sure enough, the car cover fabric was in a large next along with a lot of insulation material from the car. There was also a nice assortment of red berries off some bushes.

I removed the nest and berries and left a full Tomcat poison bait (not in a container) and the next morning the Tomcat was gone. Next day, another Tomcat completely gone. Last night I cut the bait into pieces and crumbs so she could not take it back somewhere. This morning it was all gone.

How many of these baits can the rat eat before dying?

Old 10-28-20, 05:41 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Do we know for sure that it is a rat? Sounds like squirrel/chipmunk behavior as well. We also don't know that whatever is nesting is also taking the bait. Could be one animal nesting, another attracted to the bait and taking it. This time of year, rodents and animals are stashing food for the winter. Hopefully the target pest is eating it, or at least some of it, and we get the desired result. If an opossum or similar large animal is taking it, then they may eat a lot of it before toxic effects, or it could be several animals taking it away.

Sounds like the Tomcat bait is a block? That is my preferred bait for rodent acceptance. Pellets are commonly stashed elsewhere by rodents.

Just thinking out loud here, but could you put a rat trap under the hood, maybe leaving the hood slightly open to allow the trap full range of motion if necessary? Maybe baited with a bait block tied on since they like that.

Be aware that modern day rodenticides take 3-5 days for the rodent to die after ingestion. Hopefully a little more time could solve this for you, too.

Old 10-28-20, 05:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I had a large rat in my shed years ago that ate 3 boxes of Decon before I no longer saw him. I've heard that helps to make sure they have access to water as it helps to activate the poison.

Old 10-28-20, 06:38 AM
L
It is a rat, I have seen it.

Old 10-28-20, 07:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Reading online one of the mice size blocks is enough to kill up to three rats. They should begin to die in 24-48 hours after eating the bait.

Old 10-28-20, 07:51 AM
L
Thanks., that is good to know. I can only hope the bait has been shared by all her friends. While I feel sure a lot of the nest material was automotive insulation, there is no indication of any chewing on the wiring harness.which, for the most part, is covered with a plastic shroud.

Regarding the berries, I have holly trees and nandena bushes, both with red berries. The rats pile of berries were all oblong-dissimilar from the berry bearing trees I have. I can not imagine the berries being brought from somewhere else.

Old 10-28-20, 11:03 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Rodents chewing on wiring harnesses is a thing.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...-from-rodents/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: