Do I have bats in walls?

Old 12-06-20, 10:33 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I have hibernating bats in walls?

Well moved into new home and found we had mice. Iím fairly confident we had killed off the mice and sealed entry points up. But now itís December and temperatures are in the teens at night, and 30-40 during the day. And through out the day and night in the same general areas which include high up on wall and ceiling (attic under insulation) you will hear a ticking on the wall or a scratching. When knock back on the wall it will be silent then roughly in the Same spot you will hear it again. Iím confused cause itís during the day and night. Could these be bats?

Last edited by RBC456; 12-06-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-06-20, 10:38 AM
Received 426 Votes on 397 Posts
I would not think so, bats hibernate mice dont. If bats get into a house most likley it will be the attic, mice like warmth so they tend to get under the insulation and into walls!

Old 12-06-20, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That sure sounds like mice. That's just like they act. Just when you think they're gone.....

Old 12-06-20, 11:30 AM
R
-pjmax
i definitely am at a lost on how to get rid of them. The noises arenít as bad but there is definitely still movement. I have sealed every thing I can find with copper mesh and sprayfoam, have layed out poison (contract blox, and final blox) out side, garage, attic, and am just at a lost

Old 12-06-20, 12:57 PM
Received 426 Votes on 397 Posts
It takes time, poisons are bad, they die where you don't want them, in walls, or something eats them.

Snap traps, just keep them baited and eventually they will be gone!

Old 12-10-20, 04:35 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
It could still be bats, as some hibernate and some migrate; it all depends on if the bat is comfortable where it is living when winter hits. If the temperature drops too low for hibernating bats, they will move around and shiver and such to warm up. It's not a complete hibernation. The "warming up" could be what you hear, if it is bats.

Can you get into the attic to look for droppings? Bat droppings would be on top of the insulation, floor, shelving ,etc. Rodent droppings could be in those places as well as underneath the insulation. Is the insulation a type that can be lifted up a little here and there to inspect for rodent droppings?

Old 12-10-20, 05:16 PM
R
pabugman
I only seen a few droppings of bat droppings but not sure how old it is. We did definitely have mice then got pretty quite. The insulation is blown in.
Also the temperatureís here have been all over the place. Teens to 50 degrees. I notice when thereís big temp changes and it gets warm there is a lot of action in the south facing wall. Action like tapping and a movement going up or down. Also thatís happening around noon.

Old 12-11-20, 06:32 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Bats "warming up" would mostly happen during the coldest of nights/mornings, usually single digits here in the northeast. . Doesn't sound like you've seen recent bat droppings anyway.

With the blown-in insulation I doubt that you have access to move freely around the attic, but just for the record I'd be curious to see the attic space in the area of where the noises are to see if there are fresh bat droppings, rodent evidence, bird evidence, etc. I've seen shed snake skins in attics on occasion, too. The noises you're hearing don't seem to be what a snake would cause, but until we do know what it is we need to keep all possibilities on the table.

Is there any duct work, such as heat ducts, bathroom/dryer vents/stove vents, etc in that area?

I'm assuming that you've inspected the exterior wall in that area for branches, wires, etc? .

I'm curious to find out what this is.

Old 12-17-20, 07:17 PM
R

pabugman

hey yes it is not ideal to get up in attic and walk around. Also I have walked around the home and do not see any entrance points or any wires and branches hanging on roof or on side of home. I also a few months ago had sealed up home from mice and now a few weeks ago for bats and had put in one way exits (4) to be exact. Also had put a screen in the attic under the wind turbine. Other wise I donít really see any droppings in attic from what I can see other then the few bat droppings I seen a few weeks ago. Other wise throughout the house I have no sign of mice under sinks and kitchen area. Still find it weird when the temp warms up or sun comes out and heats up my south facing wall thereís definitely action in that side of the wall or close to attic.

Old 12-19-20, 02:03 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Good pics; Yeah, you can't do anything with that insulation. I don't know what to think; I'm hoping that since you've excluded rodents and bats that in short time, this will subside.

Otherwise, is there a possibility that the warmth and resulting expansion could be making sounds? Maybe at a place where different kinds of construction material meet and one heats up faster than another. Long shot, I know, but just thinking out loud. I'll keep thinking on this. Keep us posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: