Chipmunk relocation

Old 06-03-24, 01:33 PM
W
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Chipmunk relocation

We have a chipmunk invasion this year. Today I live trapped 5 around our foundation and flower beds in less than 8 hours. I'm pretty sure that they are around because the squirrel population has plummeted this year.
I have been releasing them in a stone wall about 200 yds from my house. Any idea if they will find their way back from that distance?

Top Answer

06-03-24, 02:15 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
Google says to relocate them at least 3-5 miles away because of their strong homing instinct.

Old 06-03-24, 02:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,270 Upvotes on 2,022 Posts
Google says to relocate them at least 3-5 miles away because of their strong homing instinct.

sdodder, Wayne Mitchell voted this post useful.
Old 06-03-24, 03:16 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 117 Upvotes on 110 Posts
200 yards isn't far at all for an animal that lives there. One time our cat caught a chipmunk and brought it into our screened in porch to play with. In the process of getting him out, his tail got under a rug that I stood on while grabbing him, tearing a chunk of fur off his tail. Several days later our cat brought a chipmunk back to the porch that was missing a chunk of fur on its tail. They want to come back and hang around their familiar areas. They don't appear to be afraid of people, cats, traps, etc.

Wayne Mitchell voted this post useful.
Old 06-03-24, 04:15 PM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I'm off to build a chipmunk holding cell. When I collect enough of them I think I'll release them in a neighboring state. I would permanently release them but I would probably have to sleep on the couch for a year or so. I solved our squirrel problem a couple of years ago by permanently releasing a half dozen of them. I was kind of proud of my marksmanship, not so the spouse.

Last year my wife's cat got her a** kicked by a chipmunk. She was "playing" with one until it jumped up and latched on to her nose. I thought it was funny, but my wife decided the cat needed to go to the vet and I got the bill.

Old 06-03-24, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,103 Upvotes on 3,685 Posts
I have major chipmunk problems.
They completely undermined under my pool filter. What a job to refill.
They dug between the pool sidewalk and the coping.... making a real mess.
They took over a furniture storage cabinet. What a mess.
Left droppings all over the furniture.

Old 06-03-24, 07:48 PM
W
Pete - I have a small live trap. From what I can tell they ain't too smart. Add a few peanuts and you are guaranteed a catch. I think my only screw up is probably not long distance removal.

Old 06-04-24, 02:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
Spray paint their back or tail before you release them and you then know whether you're trapping the same animal again. That said, there is no shortage of chipmunks in the world so I would be using rat traps instead of live traps if they're being a nuisance.

Old 06-10-24, 07:58 AM
W
They're back! After several chipmunk free days I saw one yesterday. I trapped it and relocated it a couple of miles away. Today I saw 2 more. Probably the same ones that I released last week. I will catch these and relocate them. If they come back I will relocate them permanently.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: