Bat in toilet

Old 02-04-03, 02:59 AM
Jeff Placzek
Visiting Guest
Angry Bat in toilet

Two times we have found a live bat in one of our bathroom toilets. Is this common? What is the deal? Of course the immediate thought is: Did the bat COME IN through the toilet? probably not. Do they look for water for some reason? what the?

And in the middle of winter?

This bathroom is directly off of an attic space that has a door into the bathroom- most likely entry point I suppose.

any insight?

Old 02-04-03, 07:58 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bat control

If you have bats in your home, then you need to find where they are coming in and seal off the entry. Finding more than one thirsty bat in the toilet near an attic access is a clue that you have bats in the attic. Not all bats migrate or hibernate. Many take up residence in attics, entering arounds, eaves, fascia, and vents. Bat droppings in attics can be hazardous to your health. Sealing and screening off entries is a must. There are bat repellent products available also. As bats are nocturnal and tend to leave in search of food, the best time to block their entries is shortly after dusk. Go to www.bugspray.com to learn more about bats and their control.

Old 07-04-06, 09:46 AM
H
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bat in toilet

I was interested in this topic because we found a bat swimming in our toilet last night. The toilet is not located near the attic crawl space. It had to come thru the sewer pipe to the second floor, which is quite a surprise to me. We flushed it down so is it still swimming somewhere with the possibility of it or its relatives returning? How do we prevent this from happening again? Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-04-06, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's possible that the bat crawled down the vent pipe on the roof. You would need to install a screen of some sort to keep this from happening. Or it could have just been a fluke and won't happen again.

Old 07-04-06, 10:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Welcome to the forums HAWK2

I doubt that the bat came in thru the sewer pipe. I don't know if bats are capable of swimming or not but they do have to breathe. My guess is the bat came in thru an open window or door, unnoticed until you found him in the commode.

Old 07-05-06, 02:22 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bat did not travel through sewer pipe. It likely entered through a ceiling vent or other crevice from attic or outdoors. Exclusion is the best control for bats. Make sure all entries into home are sealed. Screens can be used to cover eave vents.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: