mice/attic

Old 10-27-03, 10:32 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mice/attic

This baffles me.......live on three acres and of course one would expect to see or have a field mouse one in a while......often find one floating in the pool, have mice bait in the garage, aparantly works well since I have never had one in the house.....but, once a year sometimes twice a year I can hear one in the attic, same place, he or she drops down the wall in bathroom and spends a couple days scratching then dies. I have checked everyplace, caulked around the basement where the siding meets, cannot see anyplace where they possibly could get in. I find it hard to believe they can crawl up a downspout and even then I have checked roof line.........what am I missing, I am lost as to how they get into an attic! One would expect if they get in their you would find at least one in the house..........never have had one. Any suggustions?

Old 10-27-03, 12:59 PM
C
Is there a tree or other route to get onto the roof?

Old 10-27-03, 03:11 PM
D
Chris/mice in attic response

Chris: No there are no trees that are that close to the house. There are some bushes but a mouse would have to take a real leap to get to the roof. Have some trees fifteen foot away but again, a mouse would have to almost have wings to make the leap to a roof and then I still do not know how they would get in. If they entered the fan vent they would wind up in the bathroom and that has never happened. If they got into the furnace flue they would drop down the pipe and if the furnace was not on most likely enter the basement thru the furnace but again have never had mice in the basement.

Old 10-27-03, 09:39 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
It's a fact of life that a mouse will find it's way into your home.
No matter weather your home is brand new or many years old.
I recently moved into a newer home and have found evidence that mice were well established here at one point. I have put traps out but have caught nothing. I do have two cats that tend to take matters into their own paws though.
We lived in the condo I recently sold for 8 years.
Every year or two, one of the cats would present us with the gift of a freshly killed mouse (usually at the foot of our bed). I never did figure out where they were getting the mice as they are indoor cats and we never saw any evidence of mice anywhere in the condo. The only thing I figured was the odd mouse would get down the chimney and into the condo via the fireplace.

Old 10-28-03, 12:03 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mice

Exclusion is the best control, sealing all nooks and crannies and crevices where insect and rodent pests can enter the structure. Despite excluvise methods, mice will sneak in when doors are left open.

Trapping with baits is the most recommended control method. Poison baits,alone, tend not to be recommended because pests can end up in the walls of structures and result in odors that may take weeks to months for the odor to dissipate depending on size of pest.

Last edited by twelvepole; 11-02-03 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-28-03, 07:10 PM
Catspaw
Visiting Guest
Hi David,
Your mouse problem is common. Exclusion is definitley an important part of the cure but it can be difficult to achieve. We don't always see the openings a mouse can see. You mentioned siding...did you seal the corner channels? They are usually open and lead directly to the roof. Expanding foam insulation will work
as will copper mesh. I don't recommend steel wool, as it will rust and deteriorate over time.

If your A/C unit is in the attic, and the condensing unit is on the ground, the lines connection them can be an issue especially if they run through a larger pipe. Likewise with an A/C line that runs through a foundation wall.

Also, I wouldn't be too afraid to bait your attic with paper bait packs or rodent block. Mice are so small that, in my experience, a home owner rarely smells anything (especially in a well ventilated attic). In short time a mouse will dry up like a piece of paper. A larger animal is a different story. And, a fresh supply of bait is a very efficient way to keep a small problem from escalating.

Old 11-02-03, 08:16 PM
T
Mice

Make sure where all pipes and wires enter the home are sealed and there are no cracks or openings. Make sure along the bottom of siding is sealed. A mouse can climb like it has suction cups on its feet.

Old 11-16-03, 02:55 AM
Y
By chance do you have a bathroom vent that goes up to the roof, they could be coming in from there. I just purchased a 65 year old house in the county about a year ago, and I had so many mice you would not believe me if I told you. I've had mice problems in the past with other house so I know from experience what had to be done to get rid of them. I will first say a mouse can get in a hole as small as a 1/2 inch by a 1/2 inch with no problem.
What I did first was to detail check the whole out side of the house, most of the time mice come in from the roof, fill all the cracks, mesh off all gas stacks,, remove all ivy or anything other plant that is connected to the house. I could go on for an hour with where to check but you know what you need to do as far as that goes.
After I did my check and before I filled in the holes I thought they were coming in from i set my bait. I found the best bait I've used is those green pioson cubes ( I forget the name of them), they sell them at lowes. Anyway , what they do is the mouse eats it and then starts to get super thirsty, not finding any water in the house, it will go out side to look for water. After it drinks water it will dye. Anyhow after i notice the cubes are not being eaten any longer, I start to fill in all the holes. With any luck you will solve your problem.
Before I write a book here, myself i had so many mice even after I did all the above. I had to start checking under ground for the problem. Luckly thats where the problem was. I noticed the concrete slab in front of my front door settled and cracked away from the house. It pulled 2 bricks out of the foundation, thats another place they were coming in from.
After all the work was done, I haven't seen a mouse in months.

Old 11-17-03, 06:55 PM
D
Yellow Tang/mice in attic

Thanks for the information Yellow Tang. The way the roof vent is tied to the fan itself, I doubt very much if mice could get into the attic that way.....if they did get into the vent the would drop into the fan area and light and wind up in the house......and have never had a mouse in the house itself. I think I may have found the place......oddly enough I can't picture a field mouse climbing up siding but there was a possibility they may have crawled up the area in back of the end caps (vinyle siding), came out the top and found an area that I finally located near the top where the siding was cut just a half inch short that could allow entrance to the attic area. I have filled that area with foam insulation and too nylon scrubbers and stuffed them in the bottom part of each corner of the end caps.........that whole area behind the end caps is open. Hopefully this will do the trick. The attic always seemed to me as the last place a mouse would enter......just cannot picture a mouse climbing up siding etc.

Dave Doran

Old 11-18-03, 03:31 AM
T
Mice

These pests can enter a crack as small as 1/4" and they can walk up the side of your house like they have suction cups on their feet. Exclusion is your best conrol method along with eliminating all food sources in your landscape such as pet food dishes, bird seed at feeders, as well as garbage, and habitats that may atract them.

Old 06-11-04, 05:47 PM
burb72
Visiting Guest
should I seal holes between roof and outer wall with foam?

I have a rectangular shaped roof, on each end it had vents, i noticed that the roof where it meets the outer walls has spaces that you can see light from the outside. It would be easiest to seal them with foam and possibly steel wool but will if affect the attic in any adverse way. Also I have a exaust fan at one of the vents that pulls air out of the attic. thanks for your help,
mike

Old 06-21-04, 09:47 PM
T
Mice myths

"This bait makes rats dry up into dust so they won't stink."

"Our bait makes rats so thirsty, they run outside to drink water and die outside."

"Rat bait "mummifies" rats so they don't stink."

There is no rodenticide available that can back these statements up with research. Most rat and mouse baits are simply anti-coagulants, blood thinners. Any mammal's blood clots naturally. An anti-coagulant stops the clotting and causes the animal to die from internal bleeding. All decomposing animals produce an odor.

Old 06-29-04, 06:02 PM
Ha, ha, Twelvepole, you wouldn't believe how often I hear those. It is really quite humourous, and definitely myths. I get the second one a lot.

Of course I always set them straight.

Thanks for the chuckle,

Jay

Old 07-01-04, 12:02 AM
T
Sure wish we could do something about irresponsible marketing to consumers. I encounter it every day, especially when it comes to the many claims of cleaning products.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: