chipmunks

Old 02-25-04, 09:59 PM
jerome66
Visiting Guest
chipmunks

Looking for formula for rodentchasing. contains castor oil and liquid soap. Or other solutions for a chipmunk problem.

Old 03-07-04, 02:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chipmunks

This may be the recipe for which you are searching:

1 TBS Castor oil (available at any pharmacy)
2 TBS Dawn detergent
6 TBS water

Blend oil and detergent until it looks like shaving cream, then add water and blend. In watering can mix 2 TBS of mixture with 1/2 gallon of water. Sprinkle on the affected area. Works especially well if the soil is wet after a rain.

While there are claims that this is an effective remedy for moles, voles, chipmunks, and other lawn pests, there is no scientific evidence to support that this control method is effective.

For chipmunk control, you can destroy their habitat, such as installing concrete in the affected area or remove the stone walls that attract them. This, of course, is not a reasonable option for most. Trapping and relocation, however, is the most commonly recommended option.

The second option is to trap them and euthanize them (check with your local authorities regarding any laws protecting chipmunks and other wildlife in your area). Relocation is considered to be cruel by some because the animals are placed in a new habitat with which they are not familiar.

Traps can be placed at burrow openings and in trails to burrows. Either large rodent snap traps can be used or live traps like Havahart for relocation. Burrow openings can be stuffed with newspaper. If the newspaper has not moved for several days, then chances are you have gotten the culprits. But, chances are that you may not have. In cold weather chipmunks can stay in their dens for weeks (they have stored food). Perhaps waiting for warmer weather would be best, but there are no guarantees.

Repellents, mothballs, coyote urine, ultrasonics, and other recommended miracles, myths, and old wive's tales tend to be a waste of time. These have limited effectiveness if they work at all. Trapping and modification of habitat are the most sure ways to control chipmunks. The more traps the better. The more patience and persistence you have the better. There are poison grains available that can be scattered in affected areas. Concerns are that pets and children may fall victim to this method, as well as other animals. Bait stations are recommended if using poisons (boxes with 2 inch holes) to exclude children and pets.

Trapping is the preferred method of control. Using a common rat snap trap is a permanent method of controlling nuisance chipmunks. It is best to pre-bait the trap (peanutbutter or peanutbutter and dry oatmeal mixture) by not setting the trap until you condition the animals to steal the bait safely for three days. Place the traps at a right angle to the pathway where you have seen chipmunks. A trap should be placed under a box with 2" diameter holes cut into the ends to protect other wildlife from getting into the trap. If snap traps cannot be isolated from pets, wildlife or children, use live traps.

Check with your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for recommended and legal controls in your area. Always follow the laws of your state.

Old 03-12-04, 01:12 PM
K
Excellent reply. I've had great luck with rat traps myself. Is it pleasant? No. Do I feel bad/guilty? No. Chipmunks did some serious damage to my neighbor's foundation under his deck. I've "removed" about 2-3 a week for 1 month last summer then it slowed down. This was done with 1 trap (had to replace it once due to it getting pretty bloody) under my deck with peanut butter on it.

Be carefull setting the traps!

Old 06-10-04, 12:04 PM
globird61
Visiting Guest
Smile More on Chippies.

I need further help on the Chipmonk issue. We have bird feeders and noticed our Chipmonk population has grown as well as our birds.
They birthed babies in our boat and Now managed to put moss, seed and other stuff in my husbands NEW pickup truck. They are scheming on my car too. Will moth ball work if they are under the car?
I really like the critters but gad, enough is enough. They have no respect.
We live in forest land and I can trap I suppose. they also like my green house. That makes me angry.
All the help other then killing them is most helpful. They lived here first, but I'm getting a bit cranky now. Glo

Old 06-10-04, 06:33 PM
T
Chipmunks

Please read my previous post in this thread. Trapping is the most effective way to control chipmunks. Then, they can be relocated miles from home or euthanized. Shooting is also effective in areas where there are no restrictions. Mothballs are for moth control, not chipmunk control. Dogs and cats tend to be helpful, but will not eliminate all the chipmunks. Poison granules can be spread, but these can be hazardous to pets and children.

Chipmunks are attracted to bird seed. Chipmunk populations can get out of hand once your lawn is infested. Now that the lawn is infested, it is doubtful they would leave if you eliminated the birdseed. You may find, though, that eliminating the bird seed may reduce the population, as some of the chipmunks will move on where there is less competition for food.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: