Ants in Bathroom sink?

Old 03-06-04, 02:59 AM
emilyh
Visiting Guest
Ants in Bathroom sink?

Does anyone know why I might have ants in a second floor bathroom sink? Is there such a thing as water ants? Should I call in a pest control guy or just get some ant traps?

Also, I'm not sure how serious of a problem this is. I had some tenants leave this townhouse(never rent to three sigle guys) and they really trashed it so maybe just a good cleaning will get rid of it. I've already cleaned the really disgusting dirt away. Now I just have to make it sparkle.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Email address was edited. For security reasons, email addresses should not be posted in public forums. In addition, discussion should not be directed off the forums.

twelvepole
Super Moderator

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-06-04 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-06-04, 06:59 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ants

Identifying the type of ant their entry into the home would be helpful first steps in determining the method(s) of control. Eliminating food sources by thoroughly cleaning the premises may be helpful. Some ants, such as carpenter ants, are attracted to moist, decaying wood. The workers forage for distances of up to 300 feet from the nest. Among the largest ants, from one-fourth to three-eighths inch long; most common species is black, but some have reddish or yellowish coloration; workers have large mandibles. They typically enter buildings around door and window frames, eaves, plumbing and utility lines, and shrub and tree branches in contact with the building A bathroom is a moist area and could conceivably be an area where carpenter ants would be attracted to decaying subfloor and/or joists.

Once ants find an entry into your home, they can easily have the run of it. For instance, should ants find a pathway under siding on the exterior, they have easy access to the second floor. A regular permimeter insecticide treatment on and along foundation tends to keep insect pests and their predators at bay. Sealing all entries in foundation and along exterior siding is also insurance against insect entry. Inspect and seal entries around doors, window frames, eaves, plumbing, plumbing and utility lines entering the structure. Cut back all overhanging tree branches and those that have contact with the structure. Cut back or remove overgrown foundation plantings that contact the structure.

When homes and other structures are built on foundations, typically an aluminum termite shield is placed over the foundation and under the sill plate. It sticks out from the concrete and then bends down at a 45 degree angle. While ants may negotiate this, it tends to be difficult to do so. A professional insect inspection and treatment, if necessary, will protect the investment in your property and aid in insect control.

The typical 'house ant' tends to be dark reddish brown to black, one-tenth inch long. They are often found nesting in the walls or beneath the floor; most likely to invade homes during rainy weather and travel in trails. Pharoah ants are very small, light yellow to red in color, with black markings on abdomen; about one-sixteenth inch long. These tend to be the most difficult household ant to control because colonies can contain several million workers and several thousand queens. Pavement ants are light brown to black, appendages lighter than rest of the body; about one-tenth inch long; parallel lines on head and thorax. They invade homes foraging for food throughout the year. Nests are outdoors under stones, along curbing or in cracks of pavement, but they can nest indoors in walls and under floors and are a particular nuisance in structures built on concrete slabs. Thief ants are one of the smallest household ants, about one-thirty-second to one-sixteenth inch long. Nests occur in a in many outdoor locations, but are more likely to be found under rocks. They may find their way indoors where they nest in cracks and cupboards. Because they are very small and difficult to detect, they tend to be difficult to control.

Pesticide sprays tend to be effective on live ants, but they have no effect on those in the colony. Thus, it is recommended that residual insecticide sprays and ant baits be used because they can be carried back to the colony, where they can take a toll on fellow colony members. Ant control requires persistence and patience. Contact your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for recommended chemicals in your area. If in doubt, contact a local exterminating company. A regular professional termite and pest control program is recommended not only to protect the investment in your property but to also protect it from infestations secondary to the lifestyles of renters.

Old 03-06-04, 12:51 PM
emilyh
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the detailed response. It is a townhouse unit built on a slab and the bathrrom in question is on the second floor. Even though I provided a dehumidifier, tenants never seem to bother to use it and that unit is awfully damp. I hope they aren't carpenter ants. I didn't see any there today nor did I yesterday. I hope they decided to leave my cleaning the place. I will definitely make sure trees and bushes are cut back. I did just have a painter (while he was painting) clean out years worth of leaves clogging up the gutters. How much would a pest control company charge for an inspection, I wonder?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Email address was edited. For security reasons, email addresses should not be posted in public forums. In addition, discussion should not be directed off the forums.

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-07-04 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-07-04, 11:49 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pest Inspection

Costs of inspections and treatments vary from area to area and among pest control professionals. You will have to do some comparison shopping with about three companies to learn the cost of inspection. Ask lots of questions about their proposed treatment plans and contracts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: