cluster flies and lady bugs

Old 03-26-04, 09:17 AM
coffeequeen156
Visiting Guest
cluster flies and lady bugs

AAARRGGHH! I'm overrun with them They are swarming in every window. Can I use a small hand-held vac to just suck them up, dead or alive? And will they breed and ruin my cleaner if a few remain after emptying the bag? Thanks so much!

Old 03-27-04, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Laurie,

Just to begin, these are very common insect pests to see this time of year. You can vaccuum them up without worry, they will not breed inside your vaccuum cleaner. These insects are known to enter your house through cracks and crevices in the fall, when the cold weather is starting. They will overwinter in your house in void areas in the walls or attic. With the nice warmer weather coming back, they are coming out of thier dormancy, looking to get back outside where they thrive. Thats why you're finding them around the windows.

You can help prevent thier entry into the house in the fall by chemical treatments around your windows, doors, soffit and facia areas, and anywhere you see cracks around the exterior. Sealing up some of these cracks and crevices will also help keep them out, once the cold weather begins.

Hope that helps,

Jay

Old 03-27-04, 08:35 AM
T
Cluster flies and lady bugs

As indicated these houshold pests can be removed by vacuuming. Although they don't breed in vacuum, they will begin to smell if vacuum bag is not emptied or replaced on a regular basis. Let your nose be your guide in this regard.

Seal all possible entries into home to keep out household pests.

Old 04-01-04, 09:41 PM
DOLLY B
Visiting Guest
Unhappy re: ladybugs

To the lady who wrote concerning ladybugs. I share your frustration. Where did the ladybugs come from? fully invested my house too. I am embarassed to have company over. out of no where they landed with no mercy, cleaned, sprayed and vaccumed till I dropped. Sealed all cracks,crevices,joints,you name it. Did no good. Winter slowed them down quite a bit,but they showed up all winter. I have sprayed so much raid pest control, I would not be surprised to see them become immune to it. With spring trying to warm things up, the ladybugs are starting to gather more and more of them everyday.And if the last two years are any indication of whats to come,summer is going to be really terrible. I have stopped having people over because I am embarassed by the frequency of these bugs and I cannot get rid of them. I have had them drop or fall into food, and just before I go to sleep I inspect my room and bedding and sure enough there will always be one or two that I have to flick off the bed. If anyone comes up with a sure cure,please let me know too.

Old 04-04-04, 10:55 AM
T
Asian lady beetles

The 'ladybugs' are actually Asian lady beetles. People have been complaining about them since about 1993. Vacuuming is the recommended indoor control.

The beetles were imported from Asia by several states for the control of aphids and other agricultural pests. Due to their ability to quickly increase in numbers and their migration, they are now reported in large numbers in many states and in Canada.

When cooler temperatures arrive in fall, the beetles look for a place to spend the winter. Beetles prefer lighter, brighter surfaces, the warmer side of structures (southwest), especially wood-sided homes. The Asian lady beetles will find their way through any nook and cranny in your home, including beneath siding.

When temperatures begin to warm again in spring, the beetles seek passage to the outdoors and, unfortunately, may end up inside your home. If beetles can't find their way outdoors to find food, they will end up dying inside your home.

The Dept. of Agriculture recommends vacuuming or sweeping up as the best indoor control. Exterior controls include sealing all cracks around doors and windows, soffit, and fascia, and any other possible entry into home. Doors and thresholds should be properly fitted as should windows. Seal all entries where wires and pipes enter home, as well as dryer vent. Make sure window screens are in good repair and cover attic vents and louvers with screens.

Most prefer not to use a residual insecticide indoors because of possible contamination of surfaces. Thus, vacuuming is preferred indoors. Sprays and foggers will have no effect on beetles that have not yet emerged from cracks. Late September or early October is the best time to do exterior residual pesticide treatment before the beetles seek shelter for winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: