Sealing basement, making it insect proof?

Old 04-10-04, 02:57 PM
sc0tty8
Visiting Guest
Sealing basement, making it insect proof?

Well, today I decided I need to do something with the basement. I noticed a lot of air/light leaking around the windows, so, I need some new windows. I also noticed a lot fo dead insects on the basement floor. I have quite a few cob webs also. I noticed a lot of spider eggs.

Last year, I had quite a few centipedes, I had a dehumidifyer down there to help with the moisture.

I have decided I will be taking all the walls down and starting over, there are not much down there, it is mostly unfinished. I would like to know how to get rid of the insects, and, how to seal up the basement?

When I got the house, there was a crack in the wall, and some plates where installed that I need to tighten once a month until they are straight, there was no grade away from the house, the gutters where plugged, I plan on puting up larger gutters this spring.

I want to make this basement livable, right now, I would not send my worst enemy down there....

The exterior of the house is wood, the insulation sucks, this house was built in 1957, so, it needs some work bad.

Where should I look for where the insects are coming in? How can I make it NOT livable for the insects? Is there any thing I can use to bomb the basement? Is there anything I can put on the walls to seal them up?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-10-04, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I moved you over here to start on the bugs.

ED

Old 04-12-04, 09:03 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insects in basement

Many insects such as centipedes, pill bugs, sow bugs, and others prefer moist conditions. Addressing moisture problems is an important control measure. Making sure gutters and downspouts are clear and carrying rain water away from the foundation is crucial. Sloping soil around foundation so that runoff is carried away is also important to keep moisture away from foundation and basement. Placing a dehumidifier in basement will reduce dampness and humidity, making for a dryer environment. Running a fan will improve humidity. Caulking around basement windows and doors and making sure they fit properly will be helpful. Doors should have a properly fitting threshold and seal all around. When removing paneling (walls), inspect for insect damage, infestation, and decaying wood.

Spiders usually like to live where they can find other insects on which to feed. Eliminating other insect pests, will either starve out spiders or send them elsewhere in search of food.

Insecticide sprays and traps can be used for trapping insect pests in basement. A regular perimeter residual insecticide application on foundation and on soil along perimeter of the home tends to keep most insect pests and their predators at bay.

If you have not had your home inspected for termites, now would be a good time to do so. A professional inspection and recommended treatments and control measures are will worth protecting the investment in your home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: