carpenter ants

Old 04-11-04, 11:39 AM
PATTO10X
Visiting Guest
Question carpenter ants

Hi I'm wondering if I can treat my home myself for carpenter ants. if so what to use and how thanks patto10x

Old 04-12-04, 08:33 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpenter ants

Carpenter ant control can be difficult because it is difficult to locate nests, which is necessary to eliminate infestation. They can establish nests anywhere inside your home--wood or hollow core doors, window & door frames, wall voids, insulation, etc. They can bore into wood but prefer existing cavities, especially near a moisture source.

Thus, it is very important to inspect your home for moisture problems and eliminate them. Make sure gutters & downspouts are clear and carry away excess water. Soil around foundation should be sloped to carry away rain water. There should be no moisture in crawl spaces.

Borings of sawdust (frass) can sometimes be seen and provide you with evidence of a nest. Borings get pushed out of holes in nest chambers. You can treat nests with an insecticide dust that can be puffed into voids and nests.

Should you attempt carpenter ant control yourself? Although do-it-yourself drilling and treating walls is possible, an easier approach is the use of baits which can be carried back to the nests where it can take a toll on the colony. But, carpenter ants have traditionally been difficult to lure with baits. Thus, many try a variety of baits for carpenter ants before being successful. Others give up in despair and call a professional exterminator.

A regular insecticide treatment of foundation and soil along perimeter of home tends to keep most insect pests at bay. Sealing all cracks and possible entries into home is also recommended.

Old 04-22-04, 08:40 PM
treating your home yourself for carp ants.....yes and no.......you can if you locate the nest, kill the queen or queens and eggs, and hope the workers dont find another queen. usually there is more than one nest called satellite nests. or you can just rip out all the wood they are infesting. A licensed pest control operator who can purchase a wonderful new chemical on the market , can spray a perimeter treatment that is very quick and I have not had one call back on in more than a year 100% so far in killing C. Ants. the chemical is termidor for the outside and phantom on the inside, I am not advertising, if a better way to do it was available, i would let you know, this way your headache will be gone, and always ask for a guarantee!!
let me know

Old 07-06-04, 12:05 PM
Question Have same issue, Big black ant!

I bought a place 2 years ago, and the realtor said I was given a certificat that said no termites! did not know about C ants!

I had replace the floor joists and sub floor on the back 1/3 of this cabin, and plan to add onto it. But now I noticed this year the ants a back and even more numerous. They are even crawing on our kitchen table! I think I ticked them off when I cut out the bad wood and burned it!

From this thread, it sounds like it will be a good investment to call a exterminator. I dont want to be adding new wood to the back, and having these guys feasting on the front!

My question: should I have a on-going treatment, or a one - shot deal? any one know? I'm having someone come out Thursday (7/8/04)

The area is wooded and by a river.

Thanks in advance

Old 07-06-04, 12:46 PM
If your problems arrive every year, get it done yearly, with a guarantee. C. Ants will travel a football field size area to make new nests. MOst likely your wooded area is infested with stumps or dead trees harboring moisture. They need a certain moisture content to be able to live in it and galley it out. I would suggest a yearly thing if they keep coming back, plus you could figure out a deal with them to take care of other insects or pests in a general treatment type of deal most likely.

Old 07-06-04, 01:44 PM
Thumbs up Thanks Weekend warrior

When I talk to the terminator person, I can get him to do something about the mice too! I'll ask about a once a year treatment, (Verses monthly)

Old 07-09-04, 07:02 AM
Question update to C ants/ exterminator coming over

Just an update. I hade Terminex drop by. He put me on a plan where he sprays every 2nd month.

Thinking of doing it for a year, then seeing what happens. He indicated that the spray will also handle those 'biting beatles' ( looks like lady bugs - but are not no ladies!) in the spring and the treatment will include mouse control too. $30 a month. Wanted to shop around, but not many come out to cabins.

He indicated thay I cannot kill them, only keep them out of the house. I don't want an ant farm!

Does anyone think that such a plan ( spray every 2nd mo.) is really needed?

Thanks again.

Old 07-15-04, 08:06 PM
T
Exterminator

A contract with an exterminator is a good idea for all your pest problems. Houses in wooded areas tend to be prone to pest problems. Exclusion by making sure all cracks and crevices into the home are sealed is the best guarantee against insects, bats, and rodent pests. Make sure doors and windows properly fit and allow no entry. Every other month should be adequate to protect your home. The price you were quoted sounds reasonable and worth the protection to your home. A regular application of residual insecticide on foundation and along perimeter of the structure tends to keep insects at bay. An interior application on baseboards will offer control for insects that enter the home. Don't forget to spray your door thresholds.

PS: Don't hire the exterminator that did the inspection when you purchased your home. The inspection should have not been for just termites, but all wood boring insects.

PPS: Address any moisture issues around the structure. Gutters and downspouts should be clear and carry away excess moisture. Crawl space should be dry and well ventilated. Plastic vapor retarder should cover soil. Soil around structure should be sloped to carry away rain water. Keep vegetation cut back away from foundation to provide adequate ventilation around structure and to eliminate hiding and breeding places for pests.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: