Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what about squirrels..and mice

what about squirrels and mice?

Old 04-16-04, 03:24 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Squirrels & mice

Squirrels and mice on the exterior of your home can usually be found just about anywhere. The key to keeping them on the exterior is to prevent them from becoming a pest on the interior. This is best accomplished by exclusion. Make sure all possible entries into the home are sealed. Prune or remove overgrown shrubs around home that may provide shelter, and trim overhanging tree branches back a minimum of 8 feet from your structure to eliminate access to the roof of your structure. Covered gutters and downspouts tend to also minimize access. Eliminate food sources like pet food dishes and bird feeders that may attract these pests.

There are baits and poisons, but these tend to pose a problem if there are pets and small children who may access them. Too, you take the chance of the pests dying in an inaccessible place within your structure and your having to live with the odor until it completely decomposes. These are most effective when mixed with food (peanutbutter) that attracts rodents. Live or kill traps are available. Most prefer live trapping of squirrels. Traps are placed in areas where they tend to forage. A mixture of peanutbutter and seeds or nuts makes a good bait. Trapping and relocating squirrels before they can get into your home is an effective control. Squirrels should be relocated 10 or more miles from home so they don't find their way back to your yard. Check with local authorities regarding restrictions for squirrel release, as some areas do not allow release. Mice can be controlled with poisons, snap traps, glueboards, and live traps. Remember poisons pose hazards to pets and children and possible odor problems if they become trapped inside a structure.

There are also repellents available that can be applied on or around plants or applied to the entire yard. These make plants and nuts in lawn taste bad, so squirrels will move on to find food elsewhere. One must, however, reapply after rain and be persistent in application. Don't waste your money on ultra-sonic sound devices, as the EPA & Consumer Reports report that there is no scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of these as a pest control.

Exterior pest control is an ongoing activity. Maintaining the landscape to make it less attractive to squirrels, mice, and other animal pests is important. Exclusion from all possible entries into the home is of vital importance and the best control measure. Pet food dishes and bird feeders tend to be the major attractants to squirrels and mice.

Old 04-16-04, 06:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
yes i am familiar with the glue traps for the mice, but after a while it startes to get expensive now my basment is dirtand thry find lil holes like where the plumbing is, and where the heating pipes are,so i found where thier comin from which is down below;/
....is there any safe way to close up thos gaps.like thos foam spay that expands and hardens?
..and for the squirrels..lol they actually chewed thru the vynal siding, no doors or windows where left open for them to come into the house/ceiling, they were runnin around in the ceiling..and now...i see claw markings on my ceilings,in my dining room...;-/
i did infact cover up the hole they made on the vynal siding,and soon after that...i seen the same lil bugger start chewing to get back in..it was kinda funny to watch , but not funny due to the damage made...so to discurrage them from commin back after chasin them away from chewin..i had to spray the wood cover which i placed with some wd40...to get "thier smell" off around the area...so far it worked, and no squirrels,i know thats not to be used,cause it a harmful chemical, but at the time thats the only faul smellin thing i could use right away.
i guess these lil buggers, know where the weak spots on the house.

Old 04-16-04, 06:37 AM
T
Squirrels

Squirrels are very social animals and will stay as a family unit. You could have 4-5 or more squirrels in the attic. A professional in animal control or wildlife control can help remove the squirrel family and help with preventive measures to keep squirrels out in the future.

Entries to attic should be sealed after the elimination of the squirrels. Covering any hole, vent or chimney opening with thick and sturdy wire mesh will prevent squirrels from entering your home. If a squirrel or squirrels get trapped in the attic, it will chew a hole to get out. Family members outside will also chew to free the trapped squirrel(s). Typically, the mother will move the nest to one in a tree once the young are about 7 weeks of age. If babies have been born, the mother will not abandon them. If the mother is removed, the babies will starve to death and decompose in your attic. If she is excluded she will be determined to find a way into the attic again.

If there are baby squirrels, you should hear their cries for milk. Once you locate the nest and block the entry into the attic, wait until the mother is outdoors. Wear heavy gloves to protect yourself from sharp teeth, collect the infant squirrels and place in a box or bucket into which you have placed an old towel. Place the box outside near the blocked entry. The mother will hear her crying babies and move them elsewhere. If the mother does not appear in a half hour or so, contact wildlife control in your area. Do not feed baby squirrels. Baby formula and milk will cause babies to dehydrate and die.

If a mother squirrel is still in the nest-building stage and has not had her babies, use a live trap baited with peanutbutter. Once the squirrel is trapped cover trap with towel. Release squirrel several miles from your home. Wear heavy gloves for protection. Don't release squirrel on your property because it may seek to return to your attic.

Again, make sure all entries into your home have been sealed. Cut back any overhanging branches at least 8-10 feet from your roof. If possible, eliminate food sources that may attract squirrels, such as bird feeders. If you have nut bearing trees in your landscape, you will continue to attract squirrels.

Moth balls are reportedly effective for moth control, but not squirrels or other animal pests. The EPA states that moth balls should not be used in areas where there are humans as their odor is toxic. Too, the odor is next to impossible to remove. Poisons can cause squirrels and other rodents trapped inside walls to die and remain there. The odor of a decomposing animal will not dissipate until the animal is completely decomposed. This could take weeks or longer, depending upon the size of the animal.

Old 04-16-04, 06:41 AM
T
Mice

Entries into home where pipes and wires come in should be sealed, in addition to any other possible entry. Spray foam is an effective way to seal openings around pipes and wires. Seal under kitchen and bathroom sinks and any other place on the interior where pests can enter. Check the attic with the lights off during the day to see where light is coming in. Make sure gable vents and soffit vents are covered with screen to keep our both animal and insect pests and seal all other openings. Make sure windows and doors fit properly and screens are in good repair. Don't leave doors open. Mice particularly seek shelter indoors when weather turns cooler because they want a place to overwinter.

Old 04-16-04, 07:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
thank you guys u been a help.
hmm there are no overhangin trees or shubs that are close to the house..lol they just climb from side of house and get on the roof..so lol there no way to get them not to go on the house to get to roof...
so far no cries and no squirrels..yet! even though it been several weeks since i covered the hole
im crossin my fingers!!!! they dont come back
at this point...i think i got mama squirrel deturred from comin back and makin a home for her possable family...by the way when do squrrels have there babies..like what season,so i know?

squirrels are very cute animals, but not that cute to have in the house ;D,and they are rodents .
and for the mice..im still workin on that.

Old 04-19-04, 04:02 PM
T
Squirrel litters

Depending on type of squirrel, they tend to have one or two litters per year. Typically, litters are born in spring. If a second litter is born, it is usually in late summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: