Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Organic Pest Control, Lawn, Garden Care, Help & Informational Center

Hello Forum Topic Readers.

FYI: Topic: Organic Lawn Care Recipes.
Spring and Summer Lawn Care.
Suggestions:
Print and Save.
Beer is used in this recipe.
You may drink one of the cans of beer but not both....

Now that that time in mid season which makes it a good idea to attend to the care of your lawn. Advertisements are abound for products that can chemically treat lawns to rid them of weeds and fertilize them.

Although these commercially produced and synthetically made products do as they were designed to do, many of us prefer to treat our lawns organically.

Below are some recipes that can help, do work and can be made with products commonly found around the house. Some aspects of lawn care require the usage of both organic and non organic products.

To Control Weeds:
2 cups of any brand of liquid dish soap...{not liquid detergent}
2 cups of ammonia
4 tablespoons of any plain instant tea

Mix the ingredients in a 20 gallon hose end sprayer in the heat of the day. Then follow up with any brand of commercially made liquid weed control.

Thatch Control:
1 can of beer
2 cups of any brand of ammonia.
1 cup of liquid dish soap...{not liquid detergent}
1 can of regular non-diet cola

Mix these ingredients in a 20 gallon hose end sprayer and evenly apply to the lawn. Heavy thatch may require a second application a week later.

Lawn Fertilizer:
ADD 3 to 4 pounds of Epsom salts to any brand of dry lawn fertilizer and apply this mixture at about one half the rate suggested on the bag of fertilizer. A 50 pound bag should cover approximately 2500 square foot per bag of fertilizer.

Organic Fertilizing:
1 can of beer
1 cup of ammonia
1 cup of plain liquid dish soap...{not liquid detergent}
1 cup any brand liquid lawn fertilizer
1 cup of molasses or corn syrup

Mix these ingredients into a 20 gallon hose end sprayer and apply evenly to the entire lawn in early mornings or later evenings. Water in well.

Applications may be done every two weeks during the entire growing season.

To Control Insects:
1 cup of Fels Naptha Soap Solution*
1 cup of any brand antiseptic mouthwash
2 cups of chewing tobacco juice**

Mix these ingredients into a twenty gallon hose end sprayer and evenly apply to the lawn.

*Fels Naptha Soap Solution can be made by putting the entire bar into an old nylon stocking and placing it into boiling water. Add in 1/2 cup of regular baby shampoo or liquid dish soap to aid the process.

** Tobacco juice can be made using the same process but without adding any other products. The juice should be dark brown when finished.

Lawn Tonic:
1 can of beer
1 cup of liquid dish washing soap...{not liquid detergent}
2 cups of ammonia
1 cup of molasses or corn syrup
1/2 cup of liquid lawn food

Apply evenly to the entire lawn every two to three weeks in early evenings and water in well.

All recipes are designed to cover 2500 square feet of lawn surface area. Measure you lawn and adjust recipes as needed. However, in my personal usage of these recipes, accurate applications were not found to be critical.

Organic Care Information:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=138087
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?p=457897#post457897

DIY'S Organic Lawn Care & Informational Center:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?p=533008#post533008

Pesticides:
http://www.beyondpesticides.org/inf.../corngluten.htm

Irrigation Information:
www.jessstryker.com

Useful Lawn and Garden Links:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=105089
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=158720

Sincerely. Regards & Good Luck.
Sharp Advice, TCB4U2B2B Business Management Enterprises.
Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Monitor, Hiring Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 08-27-06 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-17-03, 04:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great advice, Tom

This one deserves to be a sticky

Thanks

Howie

Old 07-18-03, 08:35 AM
thevolcanogod
Visiting Guest
Very cool - can you list a breakdown as to why the various products work the way they do? For example - is the liquid soap used as a foaming agent or does it contain a chemical beneficial to the lawn. What about Tobacco Juice - does tobacco contain a chemical that bugs don't like? I would love to understand what each of these products you listed contributes in the name of better understanding the nutrient and care needs of my lawn.
Thanks

Old 07-18-03, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
whew...

Tom, hope you don't mind if I take a stab at that one...

Beer contains yeast, enzymes and nutrients that promote good microbial activity, same for tea, soda, corn syrup and molassas. Ammonia breaks down into nitrates which are readily taken up as a plant nutrient, also nitrogen helps break down thatch, soap helps break the surface tension on water droplets and makes the solution spread over the target plants better, tobacco and it's components (nicotine specifically) is a powerful insecticide and mouthwash contains alcohol which will often descicate or at least irritate many insects and encourage them to move on...

How's that?...

Howie

Old 07-19-03, 05:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello & Thanks Howiek

Excellent explaination!...

I couldn't have stated it better myself. Even if I would have known what all those ingredients have done to produce the results they provide.

Totally out of the areas of my expertise. But I do have a "Green Thumb." Have & have had many flower and veggie gardens. The lawns are always green, planted flowers & veggies grow well.

What I do know is I like beer... & the mixtures work. Not as quickly as commercial chemicals used for the purposes but they do work. Applying them regularly obtains the results.

Since the ingredients are commonly found household products and do the job, they can be used often. Left over extra mixtures can be stored. And do store well for up to a month or so.

Grand Pa used these mixtures many many years ago. Many where gathered during exchanges between family and friends. He wrote them down in a log book found years ago and passed along within the family.

They are not new. Others have published like or similar information and sold them for a price. As I later found out. I simply wanted to ofter them as helpful organic ways to do the same as commercial fertilizers without the toxic chemicals.

Anyone whom also has home made organic methods or mixtures that do likewise is encouraged to post them into this topic.

Sharing ideas, offering suggestions, professional advice and generally helping others is what this web site is all about. I encourage everyone to share.

Hope Howiek's professional explanation answered your question the volcano god. Sure has mine... Thanks!

Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Monitor, Hiring Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 08-27-06 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-29-04, 06:52 PM
william2001
Visiting Guest
The Corn Gluten recommendation is a good one, but remember timing is important when applying any preemergent weed control. Check with your local ag service if you're not sure when to apply it. Typical application rate is 10-40 pounds per 1000 sq ft.

Another way to help outcompete the weeds is to mow your grass high and often. Plants compete for sunlight, so allow the grass to shade out those weeds. Water deep and infrequent, this trains the grass roots to drive deep into the soil for water, and again discourages weed growth. Irrigate only when the grass begins to look wilty, then water heavy, maybe 1-2 hrs or more. Whatever it takes to put 1" down. Then no more until... you guessed it, the grass tells you.

Natural organic fertilizers will promote healthy soil by increasing the number of beneficial organisms such as microbes and earthworms. Give these guys something to eat a few times a year and they will continue to improve the soil, good soil=thick lush healthy turf. I like to use alfalfa pellets from the feed store at 10-20 lbs per 1000 sq ft. 50 lb bag cost about $8.

Organic matter is also key to improving soil, add it by mulch mowing instead of bagging, and shred those fallen leaves back to the soil. Just keep "feeding the worms". Topdressing with good compost works wonders too, but is somewhat difficult to spread.

No thatch problems, no mechanical aerating, minimal insect and disease problems, maybe a few weeds you need to hand pull or spot treat, and some very envious neighbors...

Old 04-29-04, 07:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Arrow Grub Worm Control

Grub worms can be controlled in two methods.
Would like to share them with all members reading this thread.

Try this non chemical organic recipe method:

In a pot, about a gallon size, boil water.
While water is boiling, add in 2 cups of antiseptic mouth wash.
(Use non flavored type, if possible)
Add in 2 cups of chewing tobacco juice.
Add in 2 cups of common liquid soap.
(Not dish washing soap) Plain liquid soap.
Add in 1 cup of household ammonia
Boil and Stir well.

Making tobacco juice:
Buy one round container of chewing tobacco, unflavored type.
Put contents into an old handkerchief or similar thin cloth.
In small sauce pan, fill with water.
Bring water to a boil.
Toss in handkerchief with tobacco.
Allow to boil 15-20 minutes.
Remove handkerchief and toss into trash.
Allow liquid to cool.
Use this juice to make above.
Add to above.

When all the liquid is combined, add it to a two gallon pump sprayer. Spray effected area. Water well daily for about two days. Wait and watch. Grubs should die... If grubs remain. Repeat application.

Alternate method.
Buy a commercial chemical.....

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 08-27-06 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-30-04, 07:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Smile Bare Soil Organic Garden Spray

For anyone whom has bare soil to contend with, the information below may be of help to prepare and condition the soil. All contents are to be added to a two gallon sprayer, sprayer filled with water, mixed and applied to the soil.

1 cup of dish soap. (Not dish washing detergent)
2 cups of liquid fish fertilizer
1 cup household ammonia
1 can of beer
2 ounces of any brand of plain whiskey
1 cup of liquid tea juice
1 cup of any type or brand of liquid fertilizer
1 cup of Epsom salts
1 cup of corn syrup

Note:
The above recipe is a generic usage solution, that personally has worked well for me. The ingredients are a combination mixture, which aids in soil preparations for planting lawn grass, veggie, plant and flower gardens.

Specific purpose(s) for each ingredient has been lost over the many years, prior to my finding "Grandpas" home recipe booklet.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 08-27-06 at 04:58 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: