Wasps Inside Of Home

Old 05-11-04, 07:39 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wasps Inside Of Home

I've found three wasps within our home in the past few weeks. They were feeble & inactive so they were easy to pickup & dispose of.

Problem is; where there's a few, there's likely to be more. Does anyone have any ideas as to how they may be getting in? We have good sound screens on windows & doors. It's a multi-level home & they've only been seen on the lower level.

There is a fireplace adjacent to that area but it has a damper & metal/glass doors over the opening. There's also a room with a suspended ceiling (composition tiles on metal hangers). There's a space between that ceiling & the rough floor above it. It joins with two outside walls. I'm already trying to check for a nest in there.

Any help or ideas you can offer will be appreciated.

Best regards, Dick

Old 05-14-04, 12:55 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wasps

In most cases, when you find wasps indoors you will encounter only one or two at a time. Wasps are often spotted indoors in the spring when queens are looking for nesting sites or in the fall when they are looking for hibernation sites.

Should you find a wasp nest, wait until dusk when wasps have returned to nest and are inactive. Spray with wasp/hornet spray and wait before removing nest. Knock nest into plastic bag and seal. Then, dispose of bag.

Old 05-14-04, 05:03 PM
On a nice warm day, check around the outside of your home. Bees and wasps are always back and forth from the nest. If there is a nest around, you should see them, if you're patient. Inspect upper levels and ground level as well. If there is no activity, chances are they were a fluke, like twelvepole suggests, and will die on thier own in a day or so.

Jay

Old 05-14-04, 05:38 PM
R
Thanks for the replies Twelvepole & Roach Posse, they're appreciated.

We've had wasps around the house here before - but never on the inside. I know what their nests look like & have disposed of them before.

I now have a hunch that the few we've seen so far may have over-wintered under or near some rotting exterior wood trim. This is on the wall just outside of the room where I found them. This will be replaced soon.

Best regards, Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: