Carpenter Bees

Old 05-11-04, 08:23 PM
careynova71
Visiting Guest
Carpenter Bees

Is there such a thing as a wood borer bee?

We just built a new porch on the back of our house and have these fat annoying bumble bees that seem to eat the wood. If there is such a thing what can I do to get rid of these pest before they ruin my new porch?

Help Me please!!!

Old 05-11-04, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpenter Bee eats wood.

You have the carpenter Bee. It will eat perfect in holes & out holes in wood.
I used to fill the holes with Rock Hard wood putty, but I found that Great Stuff expanding Polyurthane works better because a bee that can't move can't chew away the putty.

If they just start a hole they work during the day & once they have a series of tunnels foam them. How about when they just start a hole? Watch for them & hit them with a blast of Automotive brake ( Not Carb ) spray & smash them for good luck. Brake spray will evaporate & not hurt the wood, fill in & stain or paint the hole over, so others won't follow the pheramone trail.

After a few weeks, I dig back the foam & fill the begining of the hole with wood putty, stain or paint. The Bee is a pollenator, & it's a shame to kill it, but it may do more harm than good + it has pleanty of dead trees to make their nest in.

Old 05-12-04, 05:20 PM
T
Carpenter Bees

Carpenter bees look like bumble bees. As indicated, they bore 'perfect' 1/2" size holes into wood, especially unsealed wood. The holes will go in an inch or two and make a 90 degree turn. The tunnel or chamber will extend a foot or two and may branch out in several directions. The carpenter bee lays eggs at the end of the chambers and places food there for offspring. Carpenter bees can be very aggressive in defense of their homes. Once they become established in your structure, the offspring tend to return to where they were born. Your structure can become riddled with many holes. Woodpeckers soon follow because they love to feed on the larvae.

You can use a tennis racket to knock down and kill bees or spray with hornet spray. To kill larvae inside chambers requires puffing an insecticidal dust like Drione into holes. Then fill holes with a cork or wood dowel plug, wood putty, or other filler over which you can paint. If wood is unsealed, seal or paint to deter future attraction of bees. Structures with natural siding give off an odor that attracts bees. Some folks report sealing holes and painting, but bees continue to be attracted because of their instinct to return where they were born. Keeping areas sprayed with residual insecticide may be necessary to deter carpenter bees. Once a month may be effective in summer, but every 2-4 weeks in spring and fall when nesting may be necessary. Avoid spot treating, as bees will move to untreated areas of structure.

Old 05-13-04, 08:12 PM
careynova71
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank you

Thank You both for such good advice. I had no idea that these bees were ever heard of. I will certainly heed your advice. Especially since we just built our 5 year old daughter a new all wood swing & play set.

Thanks Again.

Old 05-09-09, 01:26 PM
T
carpenter bees

I thought new pressure treated wood would hinder the bees, that they only went after distressed wood. Our fence is only a year old and the bees are drilling it

Old 05-09-09, 03:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
There isn't a whole lot you can do but stay after erradicating them. It may be that they don't prefer treated or painted wood but that certainly doesn't stop them

If feasable, everytime you see them is time to try and kill them and treat any holes you can find!

I wish I could tell you that after awhile you will win the war with the borer bees but I doubt that is possible. I've been fighting them since I moved to tenn in 1991 - never seen them in fla. I've done fairly well with my house - only 1-2 new holes a year but my barn/shop is another story

Old 05-15-09, 12:08 PM
P
We have them here in Atlanta. Got one hole last summer and sprayed it with Sevin-5. Never came back to that hole and not my house is repainted.

Good info to try to kill them when I see them, they are around our house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: