tortoise beetles

Old 05-16-04, 07:51 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
tortoise beetles

Recently I discovered several small flat translucent insects eating my tomato and pepper plants. I looked them up in an audobon field guide and determined that they were Clavate Tortoise Beetles. Does anybody know how to control these insects without resorting to weapons of mass destruction? I do not want to decimate the local spider, bird, or cat population, so heavy duty insecticides are out. A web search of control methods told me that they didn't eat tomatoes or peppers and that I shouldn't have a problem if I fertelize.

Old 05-16-04, 11:56 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tortoise beetles

Marturo has already recommended Hot Pepper Wax Spray. Use can also use it against aphids, spider mites, whiteflies and lace bugs. This potent, organic repellent and insecticide has been proven effective for two weeks or longer.

Golden tortoise beetle adults are small, 1/4 of an inch long, turtle-shaped beetles. Their colors can be from orange, green or shiny gold. They will, indeed, feed on tomatoes and morning glories. Both adults and larvae feed on leaves. Elimination of weeds around the garden tends to keep them at bay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: