ant problem

Old 05-17-04, 09:31 AM
joanmarie
Visiting Guest
ant problem

I have ants in my kitchen around my sink and two adjoining counter tops. They are the little black ants. I have tried raid ant traps, they haven't worked. I spray clean every area with an orange cleaner every time i go into the kitchen..it kills the one it comes into contact with but they won't leave, I have not tried spray ant killer because of pets and a small grandchild. ANy ideas on how to get rid of these ants? If i must use a spray, which would you suggest?

Old 05-22-04, 12:09 AM
gotya
Visiting Guest
Talking ants

http://www.bugspray.com/article/ants.html

try reading this article is very imformative about ants. I call them ***** ants i get them every spring. what i do is follow them sometime they have a nest outside kill that and they our gone.

but i get them in bathroom and kitchen every year on article i read they use borex,syrup and soap. they go for sugar and the borex kills them.

well i hope this help i generally just keep washing the sink with bleach and washing them away after couple of week they our gone they just apear every year at this time.
if in kitchen sink and there a window over the sink spray the window cells with bug spray. or put the bowl of ingredients i said above.
gotya

Last edited by chfite; 05-22-04 at 04:39 AM. Reason: language
Old 05-24-04, 02:34 PM
davidel1957
Visiting Guest
Talking

I have the same problem. Last year I sprayed around the outside of the house (the foudation) and made up a solution of peanut butter, sugar and borax. I rolled it into little balls and a put them around where the ants were. They really went the sugar and peanut better and the borax kills them. They're back right now and I need to do the same thing again this year I guess. Good luck.

davidel1957

Old 05-26-04, 02:27 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Insecticide sprays will kill live ants that you see. An ant bait such as Terro is necessary to eliminate the colony. Bait will be carried back to the colony where it will eventually eliminate the colony. It will take time, patience, and persistence, but ant baits do work..

Old 07-12-04, 08:24 PM
Elli
Visiting Guest
Another way to keep ants out is to put baby powder anywhere you think they might come in, such as the doorstep. This works on vertical surfaces too. We had ants coming in the electrical outlets and ceiling fixtures (after all other possiblitities were caulked), but after rubbing powder on the walls/ceiling, the ants stopped because they can't get a footing. Our problem is Argentine ants... no possible way to eradicate 'em, the best we can do is keep everything clean, use baby powder, and if it's really bad, spray the source of the line outside.

Ants are the bane of my existance... don't get outta my chair anymore for less than 50 ants...

Old 07-14-04, 12:56 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ants

Your best bet when dealing with ants is to use a bait that gets carried back to the colony. Sorry, but there are no myths or short cuts to elimination, despite protests to the contrary. Research for ant control does not include salt, herbs, baby powder or other DIY method,

Old 07-14-04, 09:04 AM
Elli
Visiting Guest
Yes, that's generally true about the bait. However, with argentine ants that approach tends to be considerably less effective because they have multiple nests with multiple queens. A single multi-nest colony can extend for miles. In this case it isn't possible to eradicate them. And even if we temporarily rid our yard of the pests (have killed 6 nests in the last couple of months), they will be back. This entire area is infested with argentine ants.

Also, just because a potential remedy hasn't been researched doesn't mean the remedy itself is ineffective. Aside from bait and sprays, my personal attempts at ant control have included most of the myths & home remedies that people mention. And from my experience you're right, most don't work (herbs, salt, grits, cucumbers (?) etc), but I HAVE found baby powder to be an effective, if short-lived, barrier. As I said, the ants (or argentine ants anyway) can't get a proper footing on the slippery surface and after a few tries they go somewhere else. It's easy enough to test this yourself if you have a plentiful supply of argentine ants, and happily baby powder is cheap and non-toxic, so if it doesn't work for you, nothing much is lost. Again, whether this works for regular ants, I haven't a clue.

And no, I'm not pretending that this will eliminate the problem! For the problem orinally posted, bait would probably be effective. I mentioned baby powder as an additional idea for anyone who wants to try it. It works here!

Old 08-19-04, 07:40 PM
shellyann
Visiting Guest
Smile Baby powder to the rescue!!!

I have lived in my apartment for two years and all of a sudden this year I have ants. My house is spotless so I couldn't undertand why they came to me. I do have pet food out and have found that these ants like pet food. It's expense enough to feed my cats, I am not feeding ants too. Anyhow, I tried hidding ant traps around the house in "pet safe" locations but that didn't really help (I didn't want to use spray because of the cats). What did work was putting a thin line of baby powder around my kitchen base board and near any holes/plug ins that were behind the fridge and stove. For some reason those stupid little guys can't(or won't) walk through it. It is cheap, smells nice and is safe for my cats. Now if only I could keep the cats out of the baby powder. I hear chalk has the same effect but I have yet to try that.

Old 12-09-04, 02:54 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Or draw a line across cement, foundation, etc. with chalk!!!!!!

Old 01-19-05, 10:58 AM
JD_Bugs
Visiting Guest
The thing to remember about baits is that no single bait works for all ant species. You need to try different baits untill you find one that your particular ant will accept. If they feed on it any commercial bait will control the colony - the trick is to find one that is accepted. Carefully observe the bait placement. If ants seem to be feeding at it - good. If they don't, or only give it a passing "glance", try something else. Boric acid is the usual toxicant in these baits and is pretty low toxicity so use in kitchens is not a problem.
Another point - you might not eliminate the colony but only succeed in reducing the number of workers which over time will increase again. So you may need to repeat baiting at fairly regular intervals, say once a year or more.
Finally, baits can take a couple of weeks to work for large colonies. Just keep at it. Insecticide sprays are not a good idea indoors. Good luck.

Last edited by JD_Bugs; 01-27-05 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-29-05, 08:58 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We had a big capenter ant problem this summer in our house.

We used lots of different products to fight them: poison gel, silicate powder, traps... It seemed to help, but never completely emiminated them. After doing more research I found that a favorite nesting place for these ants is decaying wood and it just so happened that we had a large stump in out back yard. We had it removed in the fall, and we haven't really seen any since (of course its now -40 here in Minnesota so that may have something to do with it.)

I just hope the don't reappear when the weather gets warm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: