Bat Question

Old 05-22-04, 02:45 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bat Question

I have tons of bats in my area and I do find them pretty interesting. I was checking out those bat house they sell in the stores around here, and to get to my question. How in the world would a bat find one of those bat house. I mean are they a joke or for real.

Old 05-22-04, 06:00 AM
Bats are a good thing! With West Nile Disease becoming a growing concern we need all the help we can get from Mother Nature's mosquito patrollers.

Our local Nature and Birding Store sells those houses

Haven't bought or put one up yet (not sure we have bats in our area), but if we get confirmation from that store or neighbours, we'll sure be considering them.

Seems that bats prefer roosting in narrow crevaces high up and away from predators - the houses that are marketed by that store seem perfect accomodation as long as they are mounted high and get some direct sun to keep them warm as they sleep during the day.

Dunno how they find the roost, but they seem to - guess it's the same way birds scope out and occupy areas best suited to their needs.

Howie

Old 05-26-04, 04:02 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bat houses

You can type bat house(s) into your favorite search engine and find sources on line if you wish to install a bat house on your property.

Old 05-28-04, 02:18 AM
Y
Originally Posted by twelvepole
You can type bat house(s) into your favorite search engine and find sources on line if you wish to install a bat house on your property.

Thanks for the reply, but I really just wanted an honest opinion from someone who may have used or tried installing a bat house in their back yard.

Old 06-04-04, 12:59 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bats

Bat houses need at least 6 hours of sun a day, as long as temperatures don't exceed 100 degrees in July. If average temperature in July never gets about 80, then the bat house needs at least 10 hours of sun a day. Except in very hot climates, bat houses can be in full sun all day. You will have better luck attracting bats if you live near a stream, river, or lake, say a quarter mile or so. Because insects thrive near water and plants, bats like to live near food.

Bats won't roost where they feel they are in danger. If placing bat houses on wood poles, place 25 feet from nearest tree branches, wires, or other places where predators could perch. Place metal protector guards on poles to prevent predators from climbing poles.

You can move the bat house around to see where it works best. Install in later winter before bats return in the spring. If you are trying to attract bats out of your house or garage, install bat house a couple weeks before excluding them from your structure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: