A flea Problem

Old 07-02-04, 11:37 AM
loveanimals
Visiting Guest
A flea Problem

Hi

My family and I are having a VERY BAD FLEA PROBLEM this year, and I was wondering if ANYONE has any Idea to get rid of them. Because I treated my two cats, my small dog and treated the carpets and beds to get rid of them, but they come right back. So Please help me find away to be free of fleas.

P.S. I tried all flea products too nothing works and frontline plus IS supposed to work on my animals but it's not working.

Old 07-02-04, 12:44 PM
KNICKS33
Visiting Guest
Have you asked your vet for a flea treatment? When my dogs had fleas, I was given some kind of green stuff, by prescription, as it were, that I mixed with water to bathe them, being extraordinarily careful to avoid their faces, and it worked like a charm, fleas never came back. The vet also asked me if we had feral cats that came on our property (we did), citing them as a source, because our dogs were basically indoor, they went out just to do what dogs do outside, and only on our property.

You might want to consider having a professional do the house, making sure there is a disclaimer in the contract that if the fleas show up again within a reasonable amount of time, they have to do it again for free. Good protection for you and a great incentive for them to get it right the first time. I know that can be a huge hassle, but living with fleas has to be worse! Good luck!

Old 07-02-04, 07:11 PM
loveanimals
Visiting Guest
re: flea problem

Hello KNickS33,

May I ask you what was the name of that green stuff your vet. gave for your dog.

thanks again

loveanimals

Old 07-02-04, 10:27 PM
KNICKS33
Visiting Guest
This was a while ago and I have no idea what it was called. I went to the vet because I had heard too much from too many diverse animal people about the efficacy and toxic effects of a lot of very commonly available animal care products. I didn't know what to ask for, but the vet knew what to prescribe. So my suggestion would be to ask the vet what to use, because fleas on dogs and cats isn't a grooming problem, it really is a medical one, and it takes that kind of expertise to solve it so that the animal isn't harmed and the problem is effectively treated. Also to make sure that the fleas haven't infected the animals with anything. It's an insidious problem and so hard to deal with, again, I wish you the best in conquering them!

Old 07-15-04, 09:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Fleas

Flea sprays and bombs inside the home will only kill live fleas, not the ones that are going to hatch out of the eggs in your carpet. Repeat treatments are required within 10-14 days to eliminate infestation. Completion of the life cycle from egg to adult varies from two weeks to eight months. Normally the female flea lays about 15 to 20 eggs per day up to 600 in a lifetime. Treatment of live fleas will NOT eliminate those that have yet to hatch.

Consult with your vet regarding the best flea treatment for your pets. There are many prevention treatments available today. Without treating your lawn for fleas, even though dogs have been treated, you can carry fleas into your home on your pant legs and socks.

Eggs laid in pet hair, drop out wherever the pet snoozes--rugs, carpet, upholstery, kennels, etc. Eggs can hatch in two to fourteen days. The larvae squirm in the cracks in floors and nooks, crannies, crevices, along baseboard, under rugs, and in your furniture and beds.

If you have sand and gravel in your landscape, these are ideal breeding grounds. Fleas will breed in kids' sandboxes, in your crawl space under your house, and under your landscape plants--anywhere your pet may hang out.
Larvae can take a week to several months to develop to develop.

The larvae eat digested blood from adult flea feces, dead skin, hair, feathers, and other organic debris. Only the adult flea sucks blood. Then, the pupa mature in a silken cocoon woven by the larva out of pet hair, carpet fiber, dust, grass cuttings, or whatever is available. In about five to fourteen days, adult fleas come out of the cocoon, attracted by the vibration of pet or human movement, heat, or a potential blood source. Because fleas prefer warm temperatures, they will stay in their larval or pupal stage during winter. Because fleas prefer warm temperatures, they are frequently carried into homes on pant legs and socks as winter approaches. Many homeowners who do not have a pet have flea infestation.

Without blood, fleas hibernate and can survive for up to a year without feeding. The adult flea will hang out in the cocoon until a blood source is near. It doesn't take long to get a flea infestation. If conditions are great for breeding fleas, within 30 days, 10 female fleas can multiply to over a quarter million different life stages.

An adult flea that has left the cocoon will die in about a week without blood if it does not hibernate. Homes are an ideal environment for fleas because the temperature is 70-85 degrees. Breaking the cycle with an Insect Growth Regulator , not just killing the few adults is the secret to flea control.

The best flea treatments for your pet and inside your home are products that contain an insect growth regulator that halts the fleas from moving to their next cycle from larvae, to pupa, to adult. Your vet can provide you with the best advice for your pet and perhaps for the inside of your home. Of course, you can consult a professional exterminator for lawn and interior treatments. If you want to DIY, contact your Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for recommended chemicals in your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: