Tiny Spiders on Couch

Old 07-05-04, 03:08 PM
colbres
Visiting Guest
Question Tiny Spiders on Couch

I have a very old couch that I had slipcovers made for. Recently, whenever I sit, there seems to be tiny/baby spiders on it. I can't use a fogger in the room. The love seat that is exactly like it, doesn't have that problem, so I don't think a fogger would work anyway. The problem seems to be endemic to that couch. As I said, it's a very old couch and has some rips and tears in it. (Hence the reason for the slipcovers) I'm concerned that I have spiders nesting inside. How would I go about getting rid of them. I don't mind taking all the slipcovers off, moving the couch outside, and spraying/powdering it or whatever, but I don't know what to use. If you suggest something, would I need to get some fabric tape to tape up the holes so this can't happen again? Please get back to me when you can.

Last edited by colbres; 07-05-04 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 07:54 PM
KNICKS33
Visiting Guest
The only thing I've ever heard of for something like this is to vacuum the life out of the furniture, then get rid of the vacuum bag immediately -- depending on the bugs, that could mean right into a plastic bag, twist tie and out to the curb, or burning it. But with the tears in the fabric, they could be nesting and breeding in there, and you can't vacuum stuffing. Forget about any kind of pesticide, treating upholstery with pesticide is slow suicide. You could try the vacuum treatment, then tape up all the tears tight, dry clean or wash the slipcovers and see what happens.

Old 07-15-04, 09:31 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Spiders in couch

Take the couch outdoors and turn it upside down. If there is a lining on the bottom, remove it and inspect for spider nests. Remove spider webs and nests and spray with a can of bug spray labeled for spider control. You can pull back the rips and tears and inspect to see if that is where the spiders are. I doubt it. Spiders have more than likely crawled up the legs of the couch and entered its interior structure.

Spiders tend not to be able to survive unless they have a food source. Spiders are predators and need to feed on other insects. To eliminate the spider food source will require that you eliminate the insects upon which they are feeding. This will require an integrated pest management program. Regular vacuuming, inspection, and removal of webs is helpful. Spraying a residual insecticide on baseboards is also helpful. Don't forget to spray door thresholds. Make sure doors and windows fit well and offer no entry into your home. Seal all cracks and crevices into the structure to eliminate insect and rodent pests. A regular exterior treatment of the foundation and soil along the structure with a residual insecticide tends to keep most insects and their predators at bay. If in doubt, call a professional exterminator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: