animal odor eradication

Old 07-07-04, 05:30 PM
sctiberio
Visiting Guest
Post animal odor eradication

I Had An Infestation Of Squirels In My Floor Insulation At A Summer Home. I Removed All Of The Insulation And Found Numerous Nesting Sites, Old Food And Even Some Dead Animals. I Now Have An Odor Problem.

On Damp Days The Odor Is Fairly Strong. I Believe It Is Coming From Urine Which Has Saturated And Stained The Floor Joists. I'm Looking For Sugestions To Eliminate The Odor. I'm Afraid If I Just Seal The Wood From Below With A Good Oil Base Primer, Odors Might Still Permiate To The Living Spaces Above Through Unsealed Wood.

I'm Looking For Suggestions On How To Eliminate The Odor.

Steve

Old 07-15-04, 09:22 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Animal odor

Remove insulation. Put your nose to the wood joists for a sniff test to make sure it is the wood that is the source and not the soil.

Wood can be sprayed to seal with polyurethane or other sealant, but my concern is that you may be overcome by the vapors. Crawl spaces should be well-ventilated, but I fear that ventilation won't be adequate for this project. Thus, I would not recommend this odor control measure. Urine saturated soil can be coated with lime to decompose organic odors after reinstallation of insulation, but with plastic vapor retarder this should not be necessary.

Soil should be covered with plastic vapor retarder to prevent moisture transmission into your home. If you have adequate crawl space ventilation, the plastic vapor retarder over soil, and reinstall insulation with vapor retarder side of the insulation turned toward the living space, as it should be, I doubt if odor would be a problem inside the structure.

What is most important is that you seal every crack and crevice into your home to prevent insect and rodent pests. Because squirrels tend to return to their breeding sites, exclusion is extremely important to prevent reinfestation. Eliminate pet food dishes and bird feeders. If you have nut trees in your landscape, eliminating food sources will be even more challenging. A spring and fall inspection of the crawl space should be helpful to identify future problems. If in doubt, contact a professional exterminator to do the insect and other pest inspections and take care of the exclusion problems for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: