Possible animal odor to get rid of

Old 07-08-04, 07:51 PM
nowon
Visiting Guest
Possible animal odor to get rid of

Our Duplex was rented out to a couple two years ago who had a cat.

I cleaned the place out for the last 2 x it was rented, but it is now vacant and we recently noticed an odor when the temp changed in the duplex.

It has to be the cat odor as the other 1/2 of the duplex does not have this odor.

We also have a bug exterminator check and spray the units every 3 months.

Our concern is that we have an interested renter, who remarked he is allergic to animals.
Will this odor which is in the lower level cause him a problem and what chemical might we use to clear this up?

I appreciate any help
Joe H

Last edited by nowon; 07-08-04 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelled ODOR with an E
Old 07-14-04, 09:55 AM
Lee Lamb
Visiting Guest
odors

Try Odorxit (pronounced odor-exit). It got rid of a horrible dead raccoon odor for me. It is a concentrate and you HAVE to dilute it - do not use it full strength. This stuff works. I have no affiliation with the company, I am just a satisfied customer.

Lee

You can view their blurbs at: http://www.odorxit.com

Old 07-15-04, 07:16 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Odor

Pet odors tend to be more prominent on warmer, more humid days. Cats urinate into carpet and the urine settles and spreads throughout the underlayment cushion and into subfloor. Cats also can spray urine onto baseboards and walls. While you can clean the carpet with an enzyme digester cleaner, it will not resolve the odor problems beneath the carpet. Some forum posters have reported such severe odor problems that they had to remove carpet & pad, seal the subfloor with a couple coats of polyurethane, and install new carpet.

The trick to using enzyme digester cleaners is to give them time to digest organic stains and odors. These enzyme cleaners are marketed as pet mess cleaners and under a variety of names, including OdoBan, Nature's Miracle, Out, and others. They can usually befound at homecenters, hardware stores, Walmart, Kmart, and pet stores.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: