White jumping bugs?

Old 07-13-04, 03:32 PM
channel121
Visiting Guest
White jumping bugs?

They are all over my yard. When you step on the yard a flurry of them jump up with every step. If you look out at the yard they are not visible. Only when you step on the yard. They are little white bugs. Any ideas???

Old 07-13-04, 05:05 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leafhoppers are my guess. Tank or hose spray application with pesticide of choice should do it.

Old 07-14-04, 09:34 AM
channel121
Visiting Guest
leafhoppers, ok

Yeah, it is strange b/c they are only in the front yard badly. It seems they are more attracted to the part of the yard that has a large amount of weeds. is that how pests work? We keep it short and are trying to get better growth so the "good lawn" will take over. thatnks. any pesticide will work?

Old 07-14-04, 08:44 PM
C
Yes, start with a less toxic control. Hoppers prefer a greener lawn, the results are toxins released from them by eating the lawn and the grass blades suffer. It's not their consumption from eating , it's the toxins. They can be easy to control.

Old 07-15-04, 10:02 AM
channel121
Visiting Guest
less toxic?

well, you have helped me quite a bit. thanks. how do i know what is a less toxic pesticide? the strength or ingredients? i know you cannot recommend a specific product, but i am planning to go to the local big box and buy off the shelf. what do i look for?

Old 07-15-04, 06:25 PM
C
This link should help, use the products listed under Leaf Hoppers, try the sequence of pesticides listed for eradication. The insecticidal soap is less toxic (try this method first, it is more "organic") and work up from there. It is a pdf file.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/entml1/flowerpe.pdf

Old 07-15-04, 11:57 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leaf Hoppers

Leaf hoppers are wedge-shaped insects that you usually see hopping from leaf to leaf. They are about 1 cm long and yellow, green or grey. They tend to walk backwards or sideways. The grass may look bleached or thinned and there will be white or brown spots on single leaf blades indicating the leaf hoppers are feeding on the plant sap. Control with insecticide.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: