Mosquito Magnet

Old 08-06-04, 04:39 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mosquito Magnet

Has anybody had any experience with mosquito control equipment such as the Mosquito Magnet, Mosquito Deleto, Skeeter Vac (by Blue Rhino)? We have about a 1 acre site, lots of trees, and plenty of mosquitos. I put up two bat houses two years ago (one in front, one in back, facing south at about 15 feet up, just as described on www.batcon.org), and still don't have any bats roosting. I'm not next door to water, but I'm about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away from a big lake and see bats flying about all the time at dusk. I had hoped I would get some bats to roost and they would help control the mosquitos, but I'm getting tired of waiting and really want to enjoy the yard during the summer. So I'm considering buying one of these mosquito thingys . I was just wondering if anybody knows how well these things do or do not work. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-04, 10:51 PM
Skeeter problems.

Yes they work & they cost Big$$. Like a friend of mine found out he had a nice cabin in the woods. He bought a bug light & zapper then left it on all night the next evening the lights lit up but no bugs were being zapped. When we took the unit apart every wire inside that went to the zapper was burned black.

He took it back & got another one & it did the same thing this time the owner asked where he had it setup. He told the man & with a look of disbelief the man said do you know how many insects must have come to your light from the thousands of acres in Pisgah National Forest?

The morel of the story is if you live in the burbs, & the people around you have their skeeter vacs on it just may help some. Out in the Country by a lake where hundreds of millions of these blood suckers are born you may be better off to use a personal repelant instead. We use the Avon outdoors lotions & sprays they seem to work very well & have no dangerious DEET.

Old 08-10-04, 01:36 PM
I just bought one of those things... kind of... I didn't feel like shelling out 500 bucks for the propane models, but I wanted something a step above a bug-zapper (which supposedly are useless)... I ended up finding something called the Sonic Web. Go it online for 75 bucks or so. It uses Octenol (like many others) as a lure, as well as heat, and (believe it or not) it uses a low freq pulse that mimics a human heartbeat.

Anyway... I just got it and I'm gonna hook it up soon.. I'll let you know how it does.

But... like the other guy said... If you're right on the edge of the woods or something, a whole fleet of these things wouldn't really do you a whole lot of good.

WATYF

Old 08-16-04, 10:25 AM
Do let us Know after you test it.

I was going to mention the unit you speak of. It sounds good & it's a lot less Money.

Let us know what you discover after using it, & if it works well I will post it's URL in a Sticky for everyone to buy & use.

The reason I don't tell people to go out & buy This or that one for only $479.00. The repellant industries are using Fear tactics to sell over priced junk. So when was the last time you were bitten by a safe Blood Suckers? I got Malaria from a Blood sucker in Panama 1964, & we lived with a biweekly DDT Foging on Post.

BTW: We were surrounded by the Jungle on 3 sides outside of the fence. However the little buggers would always rule the night.

Old 09-09-04, 09:46 PM
T
Mosquito Magnet

The research is still out on those new-fangled mosquito control devices. The EPA has not yet backed up any of them. You can do your own research on these devices. Most research will reveal marketing hype and testimonials without any documented scientific research to back up the claims.

For an interesting read on the Mosquito Magnet: http://www.epa.gov/region1/pr/2004/mar/040302.html

I believe it would be best to save your $$ and do some research on what you can do to make your landscape less attractive to mosquitoes and explore other alternatives for mosquito control. And, don't forget that applying a mosquito repellent containing DEET is one of the best methods to protect yourself from mosquitoes.

Old 09-17-04, 11:04 PM
beltman
Visiting Guest
mosquito magnet

I have owned the mosquito magnet for 3 1/2 years now i bought it when west nile became fearful in new york I have never had any complaints nor have my neighbors yes i paid i believe it was 6 or 7 hundred for the liberty i think the one that handles up to an acre, uses propane and electric. I am like a moquito magnet my friends and family will have the torches 2 - 3 zappers everyone will be enjoying themselves and ill be the only one who will get eaten and annoyed, since then i can honestly enjoy myself in my back yard

B

Old 01-22-05, 11:32 AM
Walker
Visiting Guest
I am currently going through the BBB to get them to try and work with American Biophysics to do something on the unit that I bought from them directly and has never worked. Their customer service was rude and unhelpful and inspite of sending out a load of parts the unit has never worked and their response is to send out a remanufactured unit with no warranty. Sorry not what I want.

Old 01-27-05, 07:54 AM
U
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No Advertising In Forums

sorry for all the trouble your going through, please contact me
at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ask for Kyle or Brian C, we will be able to provide you with a free upgrade..or contact me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-27-05 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Advertising in Forums & Telephone Number & Email in Forums to Direct Discussion off Forums to Mosquito Magnet
Old 01-27-05, 03:45 PM
T
Mosquito Control

For EPA recommendations for mosquito control:

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/skeeters.htm

The American Mosquito Control Organization states that mosquito control devices have a lot of potention but their effectiveness should not be overestimated. Further, they state that its very unlikely that these devices, even with improvements, will ever supplant mosquito control programs.

There is no question that bats eat mosquitoes, but to count on them as the only control measure would not be effective. Bug Zappers & sonic devices have been proven to be ineffective.

Old 02-18-05, 12:40 PM
FlyersFan
Visiting Guest
Mosquito Dunks.....Put them in any standing water in and around your property. They will not harm fish or wildlife. Remember that fish frogs, and other various insects help control mosquito population by eating the larvae. If you have (I am assuming that you do) gutters, get gutter covers to cover them. Leaves get in there and clog them up. If they are clogged up, it is another place that mosquitoes can breed.