Termite control

Old 08-09-04, 09:23 PM
jasonnc
Visiting Guest
Termite control

I want them dead! Every last one of them! Please help!
I have found termites in two different flower beds near our home this summer. The first time, the company I have a termite bond with came out, dug a trench along that part of the house (only that part of the house!), poured in gallons and gallons of a chemical and covered it up. They drilled holes into the floor of the garage too.
Now I have found these pesky little buggers again in a different area on the other side of the house. They were under the cypres mulch in a flower bed. What can I do?

A little history...the house had previous termite damage that was fixed and treated. I think this is where the "bond" comes in. It protects us in case they find termites and damage again. We only have the bond. There is no scheduled treatment, no bait station circles in the yard, etc. probably because it would caust us almost a thousand bucks!!!
I have the feeling the termite company will come out again and "trench" if I call them. Two things bother me...the amount of strong pesticide used, and the fact they will probably only treat that area and wont really be protecting my home.
Is there an off-the-shelf product I can use myself? How effective are they? Are there any organic options? Should I rip out all the mulch I have? Please, we just bought this house and we really don't want to loose it to a bunch of bugs!

Old 08-10-04, 09:58 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Termites

Hello jasonnc

I can understand your plight. All I can do after 3 decades of Farming & living the Organic way is to advise you of what I would do.

First off I would remove the cypress mulch, & replace it with ecalyptus mulch it even comes in colors. However termites don't like it, & stay well away.

Old 08-15-04, 04:51 PM
jasonnc
Visiting Guest
Thanks Marturo.

It is an awfully big area of mulch and brand new this last spring, so I'm not sure I want to rip it all out just yet. I have pulled the mulch away from the house 4-6 inches all the way around the house. And because of the Termite Bond we still have, I am going to call them and let them deal with the problem...that's what I paid them for. If they don't help or I run into these little buggers again, I'll probably heed your advice and probably consider my own chemical termite control.

Old 08-16-04, 07:20 AM
Everett Abrams
Visiting Guest
jasonnc,

I would say the key is to make sure they are not in the house. With that being stated, with the evidence you speak of and peace of mind, I would suggest asking the company to do a complete perimeter treatment. This will give you what you need. I have no idea what your bond or guarantee cover. Perhaps the company will work with you even if it does cost something. I strongly believe in complete perimeter treatments. Good luck.

Old 08-25-04, 02:13 AM
Icaru
Visiting Guest
Question No termite control cos here - how to kill them?

I live in a small village in Turkey. There are no pest control companies here and no termite products available on the market. Our pine wood stairs are infected with termites (the house is concrete but the stairs, doors and window frames are wood). They keep us awake at night munching on our stairs.

We have been told to use a hypodermic needle and fill each hole every night with acetone for 2 months. Did this, many died, many died not. Now people are saying to use diesel fuel oil but this will smell, stain and ruin the stair finish.

Any other suggestions for making our own termiticide?

Many thanks!

Old 08-25-04, 06:08 AM
jasonnc
Visiting Guest
Sorry, but I don't know any home remedies for termites. I'm sure a good indoor insecticide or one of those bug fog bomb that you set off and leave the house for a while may help.

I did call the termite company (Terminix)and they were out the next day. And eventhough they were just out a few months ago, they would only treat the area where I found the termites. The guy basically told me, after I asked, that he can only treat specific areas, not the whole house. But he did say that if I keep "finding" termites, they'll keep coming out and treating. I figure, by 2005, I can have them do the whole house piece by piece!

I also spoke with a sales rep. with Terminix (take this for what it's worth) and he told me in North Carolina, for every house damaged by fire, there are 4 houses damaged by termites. They are a very serious problem around here and have been a problem in my neighborhood since the houses were built, 14 years ago. The neighbors continue to get hits on their bait stations.

I've heard both sides of the argument, but it sounds like these centricon bait stations are the only real way to kill the colony. It's almost $1000 to have them installed and monitored and about $250 a year after that. It's expensive, but compared to the costs of fixing damage, it's pretty reasonable.
My advice to everyone...keep your eyes open! Know what to look for inside and outside the house and I know I'll get a professional inspection yearly.

Thanks all.
jasonnc

Old 08-25-04, 12:19 PM
Icaru can you get Euclyptus oil? Any type of fuel can cause a fire inside your home.

Euclyptus oil is available in most parts of the World & will work it's way into the wood. Termites do not like it and will move. Also keep any wood at least 25 feet from your house. Acetone evaporates to fast, & will not soak well into the wood.

Next time you build stairs use Arsnic to treat the wood first, & Termites will never get a start. Good luck, be with you.

Old 09-01-04, 09:09 PM
There is an excellent chemical available to licensed technicians(in MN) called termidor. Now we do not have termites where I live, but we have carpentar ants which also damage wood and faster than termites. The chemical works excellent for both. I have never had a callback in 2 years when using it for C.Ants. Ask a professional if the probelm warrants the chemical , in most cases it does. It is a non-repellant treatment they do not detect that only one ant needs to pick up and it spreads throughout the colony by an ants nature to touch alot.(excellent, ask about it) A
About the person in Turkey............well If you can detect the nest and remove the wood they are in and directly apply a killing agent directly on the colony that will work, but that might involve demolition and repairing. In Turkey is pest control ran municipily?(government ran?)

Old 09-08-04, 08:21 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Termites

In the U.S. experts recommend an annual termite inspection. This is especially important considering that homeowner's insurance will not cover repairs. Helpful measures to prevent infestation include: keeping moisture away from foundation, sloping soil away from foundation so that water is carried away from it, keeping gutters and downspouts clear so that water is carried away from home, and keeping wood mulch away from foundation. Address plumbing leaks or other possible moisture problems that may create an environment attractive to termites.

Bait stations are not recommended as a stand-alone prevention. Professional treatment of foundation with a termiticide creates a barrier to prevent termites from reaching the foundation in their search for wood cellulose for food. The cost of the annual inspection and maintaining a termite contract is a small price to pay to protect the investment in your home in the U.S.

Perhaps the Minister of Agriculture can be of assistance in the Republic of Turkey for recommendations for termite control. There is research available that documents the existence of termites and the extent of their damage in Turkey. There is information available on the many chemicals that Turkey and the European Community prohibits from being imported into the country. My brief dive into Turkey's pest control problems revealed no pest control companies. I would like to say that this is a business opportunity, but without the chemicals, then it would not be the way to go. Thus, Turkey and other European countries are left to organic means of control.

Increasing organic material in soil around the home is helpful. Soils with lots of organic material on which termites feed will keep them busy and not interested in your structure. Digging in compost and rotted manure to soil will keep them busy and distracted. Termites are attracted to trees, so ensuring that there are plenty of trees around is also helpful. This, of course, is difficult in urban areas. Although mulch is frequently criticized as being attractive to termites if used around foundation, organic mulch provides an alternative food source. If used correctly and kept back from foundation, termites tend to feast happily with disinterest in your structure.

If located in a farming area, crop rotation is very important. Repeated plantings of the same crop will deplete soil of fertility and organic material and termites will tend to move to the closest source of food--your cellulose structure. Organic barriers can be installed around foundations--basalt, sand, volcanic cinders. Particle size of the material is critical,they should not be too large for the termites to carry away, and not so small that termites can pack the particles to create a continuous passage through which they can move. If you are a farmer, learning to grow crops that are less resistant to termite damage and tree and shrub species that are less attractive termites is helpful.

As indicated, eucalyptus is a termite resistant plant. There are many plants that are. Plant parts and plant extracts can be removed from the plant and used as a natural insecticide by grinding up the relevant parts, placing in boiling water, stirring and leaving to soak. The mixture is then sprayed onto the pest infested crops or other surfaces. Toxic fruit juices, pulps or shavings can be applied directly. Grinding up plant parts to make a natural preparation for termite control is an option. Further internet research may be helpful for termite control in the European communities. The local Minister of Agriculture should be a good source of info.

Because our beloved Turkish friend is up against termites and no chemicals, it will be interesting to read his post after he consults with the Minister of Agriculture. Because of the stair infestation, I personally recommend tearing out existing stairs and replacing. Because the stairs are in the interior of the home, it may be possible that the lumber used to make the stairs was already infested unless the home has dirt floors. Because the research tends to indicate that Turkey suffers most from subterranean termites as the major termite species, this is why I state this. Yes, I would rip out infected boards and replace before termites spread to other wood sources in the home for their food.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: