Squirrel Control

Old 08-16-04, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Squirrel Control

What can I do to keep the sqirrels out of my tomatoes ????? I live in the subburbs and killing them may cause neighbor problems. I've only got about 6 plants and they eat the tomatoes as fast as they grow. I saw 2 today 1 with a green tomato and 1 with a red tomato.

Old 08-17-04, 05:48 AM
Semi-automatic paintball gun.
I got one for deer and squirrels, and they do get the message.

worth a try, and fun,

fred

Old 08-17-04, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
I wonder if a mixture of water and Tabasco sauce would work. It is reputed to keep squirrels away from bird seed as birds are unaffected by it.
Or live trapping and relocating them.

I think a paintball would work on a deer but might injure a squirrel?
If you were to use an offensive weapon, one that would kill it might be more humane.

I have a big squirrel problem in my rural area and destroying them is the only thing that works for me.

Old 08-17-04, 07:21 AM
"to use an offensive weapon, one that would kill it might be more humane."

Greg,
The squirrels eat my cherries, plums, peaches, and more!
since you brought it up - I'll confess.
I use the semi-automatic paintball for the deer, and a semi-automatic Browning 20 ga. for the squirrel!

fred

Old 08-17-04, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
fred,

That's the ticket.

I hear of too many people raining lead from low power pellet guns (less than 500 fps) and such, on all manner of pests only to maim and not kill.
Some think that a creature hit with a pellet has learned not to come back but in reality I think that a good many wind up dying in a hole somewhere.
Trapping and moving would be a better alternative.

I would use a shotgun but my neighbours are not too far away and I don't want them to think duck hunters are shooting behind our homes again.

I have had great success with the .22 cal CB short cartridge.
It has more power than a pellet but is extremely quiet and is just right for squirrels.

Old 08-18-04, 06:57 AM
I don't know how true this is but my neighbor tells me that squirrels hate the smell of geraniums and that planting them aroud my garden would deter them.

I would rather shoot them myself cause I eat them. But my daughter would shoot me shortly afterwords since she thinks our treerats are her pets.

Old 09-09-04, 08:30 PM
T
Squirrels

Live trapping is the most effective control for squirrels. And, a tomato in the trap just might be the best bait. Peanut butter is the usual recommended bait. Once captured, the squirrel will need to be relocated many miles from your home so that he does not find his way back. Some states have laws against relocating, so you will need to know what the law is where you live. Laws against relocating is primarily because of the spread of disease. Too, squirrels are territorial. Dropping a squirrel in another's territory is not going to work. It will more than likely get chased out.

There are commercial squirrel repellents. Havahart is one brand that comes to mind. These will be rendered ineffective by each rainfall. If you purchase a repellent, make sure that it is one that is registered with the EPA because registered repellents have to meet certain criteria regarding the testing of these products. You can do an online search for EPA approved squirrel repellents.

If you live in the country and don't care about the humane aspects of squirrel control, then some of the suggestions others have made for control may be appealing. In urban areas there are usually laws against discharging a fire arm. Remember, squirrels seem to delight in our attempts to out wit them. They are clever and determined to do what they want. You must also keep in mind that when they run out of food in your landscape that they sometimes attempt to enter your residence for food and shelter and a place to overwinter. Make sure the exterior of your home offers no opportunities for entry. Squirrels are curious and will gnaw throw a crack in soffit or fascia just to see what is on the other side. They can find their way into your attic with little trouble. So, make sure that you have no trees with branches overhanging the house. Keep branches cut back at least 10 feet, because the squirrels are acrobats and can jump a great distance to your roof. Make sure they can not climb up downspouts to access gutters and roof.

There is a wealth of squirrel control info online if you wish to do further research. Your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent is also a good source of info. And, don't forget to check with local authorities regarding laws regarding squirrel and other wildlife control in your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: