coral snake

Old 08-24-04, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
coral snake

Hi,
I live in South Florida, and about two weeks ago I saw the coral snake on the concrete by my door. Neighbor warned me earlier about it, but I didn't belived until I almost stepped on it. From here it only gets better: a couple of days ago there was a baby coral snake around the same spot. I'm very concerned, because I have two little kids. I've tried to call pest control companies and found only two that'll deal with snakes. One of them told me that they will deal only with association and not the private customers, the other is very expensive and no guarantee at all. Association do not want to spend money on it (surprise!).
Does anyone know what could be done to get rid of them? I appriciate any input. Thank you all. Please, help!
P.S. The snakes are positively corals, not the kings.
Irina

Old 08-24-04, 06:13 PM
Snake problem

Having lived in Fla & South America Toxic Snakes were part of my life. However that does not mean I would allow a Bush Master or Fer-DeLance to live under my front steps.

I was wondering if you have contacted any surpentariums, or Antivinium labs to see if they will live trap the snakes. As toxic snakes go the Coral is a pretty low key snake, however with small Children & the type of Toxin this snake has, I would want them gone ASAP.

There are snake traps that are like a covered fly papper, & sticks the snakes until you can dispatch them. Is it legal to own the coral where you live? I was just thinking of advertising for a Snake Collector to, come & get them. The reason the 1 company can not make a sure catch is, they use the same Snake traps you can buy, & snakes are not stupid. Yet the young ones may be a bit easier to catch.

It took me a week, & many long hours for me to find just 3 Coral Snakes in South Fla it seems you have a good sorce of food, to see that many Corals. Ridabug.com is out of business but snake traps can found by doing a www.google.com search try( Snake traps).

Let us know what you find out.

A Coral can only bite me in between the web of my fingers if I help it, so with good shoes, & a broom, & bucket with top you can sweep it into the bucket. Then take it out into the woods & release it.

PS: Snake sprays & crystals are just snake oil Catch them or stick them to papper, it's not like pinning and catching an 8" Eastern Diamondback Rattle Snake, those fat boys spook the heck out of me.

Old 08-24-04, 09:16 PM
Thank you, Marturo, I'll try what you suggested, surpentariums and labs. About sweeping them into a bucket... I'm kinda afraid of any snake that comes too close, or should I say, I get too close to. Also, there is a couple of pathches of bushes and they seem to retreat in there when I get too close and stare for too long . I don't know if it's legal to own a coral, but I'll try to find out. That's interesting thought. Thanks again.
Irina

Old 08-24-04, 09:28 PM
Thumbs up Coral Snakes

Best of luck Irina, let us know how things turn out. You will find a way

Old 09-01-04, 04:21 PM
T
Coral snakes

The coral snake's diet consists of small snakes, lizards, and amphibians. Keeping grass cut and eliminating debris around the home is helpful in keeping snakes at bay. There are no chemicals or sprays to keep snakes at bay. But, if you treat along perimeter and on foundation of the home on a regular basis to eliminate insects, you will be eliminating the food source for pests that feed on insects. And, of course, you will eliminate the food source for coral snakes because the lizards and amphibians will move on where food is plentiful.

Old 09-15-04, 02:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 50 Votes on 45 Posts
Just a side note:

Although the coral snake is poisonous, it is not so dangerous. It is not brave...would much rather hurry off and go unnoticed as you have witnessed. They also can't really bite. They have no useful fangs. Their mouth does not open far enough either. If it were to administer it's venom, it would have to bite in a spot that was tender and small, like the webs of the fingers as marturo mentioned. Even then, it would have to work it's mouth back and forth and chew to get any venom in. They don't view humans as prey.

This is not to say I would want any small children to play around one, just in case. As rare as that snake is becoming, I would suggest trying to remove it/relocate it if possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: