Huge bees? nest in attic

Old 09-27-04, 10:36 PM
dmlopa
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Huge bees? nest in attic

We just bought a house built in 1890. On house inspection he said there was a wasp/hornet/bees nest in out attic. My friend went up there and noticed that it was more than 4-5 feet high. We don't know if there are any flying creatures in there but outside the house we see bees and the other day one got in but it was huge. 3 times the size of a regular bee. Is there any easy way of getting rid of this huge problem? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-04, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Does not sound like a Bee nest.

Many times Yellow Jackets, Hornents, & perhaps the Giant Brown European Hornent build nests in attics.

Can you do a search on Wasps, Hornets, on www.google.com then you should be able to put a name on it. Just remember with a Hose that old you can have a lot of different flying insects going in & out.

How do you want to handle it? Organic or KTA&LGSIO? As an Organic Grower I seal with expanding Foam in Winter all cracks & holes = no Summer nests in the House. The stinging Flying insects help us control the bad bugs like Bats do Mosquitos.

Once late Fall arrives all of them will build a ground nest & go dormant untill Spring. Please advise.

Old 09-28-04, 07:53 PM
dmlopa
Visiting Guest
Giant bee? hive in attic

I don't want to sound stupid but where would the ground nest be, in the attic? Also how can you even tell if there are bees or wasps in a nest. I know they say to look at night but would you hear them or do they sleep or something. Thank you for your response.

Old 09-28-04, 09:41 PM
Thumbs up Choices that you can make.

I don't want to sound stupid but where would the ground nest be?

Any where you will find them when you are doing the last Mow job of the season, OUCH! Then you come back at night & put a pop bottle in the hole they make only one escape hole & die inside their ground nest in about 2 weeks.

Also how can you even tell if there are bees or wasps in a nest. I know they say to look at night but would you hear them or do they sleep or something.

I have woke their guards with a flashlight so a bee keepers suit with hood & gloves is not to much protection with a monster nest that size.

The Giant Brown European Hornet is the only non-native or stinging insect that flys at night, & it has a very toxic sting. I am at a disadvantage not seeing what is flying in and out of your house. If you see the big Bumble Bees they can bore holes in the beams of your house but don't build nests outside the wood tunnels.

I would also like to know what the nest looks like. Is it grey in color and look like a big football made from natural grey paper? MUD? Wax chambers like Honeycomb? you need to be my eyes on this one.

The life cycle of Bees, Wasps, Hornets is an interesting study. I have included a link with a safer line of pesticides that will kill the owners of the nest & not your familys health. I was stung by 3 yellow jackets last Month, picking very ripe grapes, I got stung by Yellow Jackets protecting their food source. Yet I have picked Raspberries with thousands of Yellow Jackets eating small Raspberry worms & never got a sting. We had some really worm free Raspberrys that season, & it's never happened at the same time again in the same way.

I'm sure if you want a 100 percent removal of all we have some Members who can stear you with safety equipment to the Man made very strong toxic Pestisides.

Remember once the Hive goes to ground for the Winter you can clean up and seal the openings so no new nests can be built next season. If the Insects are dive bombing you, & your Family I would deal with it now. If not why not wait until cold weather moves in, & take care of the problem then.

http://www.victorpest.com/wasp_home.htm A good link for Earth friendly products.

Old 09-29-04, 03:12 PM
dmlopa
Visiting Guest
Question huge bees? nest in attic

When my friend got up there he saw it and said "what is a cave doing up here?" That's what it kind of looks like. He said it's made of mud. And this morning I saw black and yellow striped bees above the porch flying around. They weren't bumble bees though. Thinner and smaller. Thank you.

Old 09-29-04, 06:25 PM
Thumbs up #1 house breaker.

From what you describe it sounds like the Yellow jacket. Bees, Hornets & Wasps all have different sections to their body + 6 legs.

This year 2004 Summer season we have seen a larger than normal jump in the # of Yellow Jacket Queens. Warnings abound to those who work outside & it may be worse next season if we have another mild Winter.

My advice has allways been to clean up & seal up your house in the Winter season. You are safe & can clean out the old nest then with expanding urthane foam. Seal up the areas that they can get in & perhaps they won't be there next Summer.

Remember the bottle trick on the ground nest? Some pour Gasoline into the hole to kill them out. What about the gasoline sinking down into the drinking water? A little thinking & planing before we act can save us much grief in the future.

It would surprise me if you did not have many types of Wasps & hornets in a house that old many come back year after year to build nests.

Old 09-29-04, 09:30 PM
dmlopa
Visiting Guest
huge bees? nest in attic

Thank you very much for all your advice. I am going to do what you said and I will let you know how things turn out. As I have said many times, I don't know what I would do without this site and the very helpful knowledgeable people on here. Thanks again.

Old 09-29-04, 09:40 PM
Smile Best of luck on your DIY Task.

Your Welcome, I know you will have a good chance of cleaning then sealing & that will make everyone happy. A house from the 1890s has to be made of good sound stock

My house was born the same year I was, in 1951 & the house generator was made the same year That must have been a very good year for me anyways

Keep us up to date on your project.

Old 01-02-05, 02:15 PM
acwagar
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Cleaning the nest out

Hi I have a similar problem. I have killed all the bees, I am pretty sure they are yellow jackets. But the next is about 10 feet long and a foot high. The previous owners built an addition that is built over the actual back of the house. So the bees got in between the main roof and the addition roof. I didn't know they were there until they soaked through the sheet rock and got into the room.

Anyways, the issue is for me to remove the nest I have to take 10ft of sheet rock off my ceiling as there is no other access to that attic. I was wondering if I could simply seal the nest in from the outside (I know where they got in) or is it imperative that the nest is removed??????

Thanks

Old 01-02-05, 08:16 PM
Smile Use & rebuild a new nest each season

It's lucky for both of us that Yellow Jackects & Hornets don't reinhabit their old nest. However yes indeed calk, foam & screen any holes or openings going in to your house.

I like to hang a few nice shaped bald hornets nests up around the front porch in the Summer for looks. So far I have never seen any bees etc try to move in.

A pound of calk is worth a dosen angry yellow jackets in your house some hot July evening. Many of this type of insect can chew holes into your house & it's when you find and attack them in the Summer that they find their way into your house.