Moths!!!

Old 10-03-04, 07:43 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moths!!!

Two years ago, I bought some antique books. Shortly there after I noticed a hord of tiny moths all around my house. For two years I have put up with them - at certain times of the year they seem more prolific. They haven't attacked my clothes so far, but they just are everywhere. How can I get rid of them. I have put up commercial sticky strips and other things from the store and nothing worked at all. HELP!! I am so tired of dead moths all over my kitchen.

Old 10-06-04, 04:51 AM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Moths

Check cupboards for infested grain products. Clean out cupboards and discard infested food products. Spray every nook and cranny with insecticide and let set overnight. Scrub cupboards. Store all grain products in air tight containers. It will take time and patience to eliminate infestation. Sticky traps are helpful. Repeat cleaning and spraying with insecticide may be necessary. Cereal, pasta, rice, bird seed, dog food, and other grain products can be the culprits. Also inspect dried flower arrangements and wreaths for infestation.

Old 10-06-04, 06:01 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What does infestation look like? There are no holes or eaten parts of things. just little dead moths. I don't really want to put insecticide around my food and plates etc. Won't that be more harmful than putting up with the months?

Old 10-07-04, 03:58 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Moths

With pantry moth infestation you typically see lots of little larvae crawling along shelves or backsplash area. A few species of moths are attrracted to books. Inspect for exit holes where they have emerged as adults. Moths attracted to books are what is commonly known as house moths or clothes moths. Adults are small and neutral in color. Only larvae feed on books. Look for silken tunnels and droppings left by larvae.

With infestation in books, it is best to modify the environment. Keep humidity within 35-55% and make sure book storage area is well-ventilated. Running a dehumidifier will lower humidity and a fan will improve air circulation. All living things can not live where there is no food and water. If room is over a crawl space, make sure there are no moisture problems beneath house. Seal all cracks and crevices where larvae may hide. Discard any clutter where insects may hide. Keep cereal and other grain products in air tight containers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: