Armadillo Damage

Old 10-08-04, 12:17 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Armadillo Damage

I don't know what I did wrong, but my first try at this didn't seem to work, so here goes again.

Armadillos are making a mess of our yard. Here is what I have been doing. We have caught 3 in live traps. I search the woods for their burrows and set the trap up in front of the burrow when I find one. When I find a bunch of holes close together, I block all but the biggest and set the trap in front of the one left open, hoping to steer the varmint in the direction of the trap.

We are also spraying our yard around the house and shop in an attempt to rid the ground of the grubs that the armadillo scratch and root for.

I look forward to any feedback/advice anyone wants to share.

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-04, 12:40 PM
K
removing the food source is the best option. once the grubs are gone they will move on. you will most likely need to treat again next spring to kill the grubs coming back up to the surface.

Old 10-08-04, 09:06 PM
T
Armadillo Control

Armadillo control is best achieved by using both passive and aggressive methods involving repellents, treating lawn for grubs, and trapping. Try
liquid Ropel and dry Armadillo Granules for small areas. Continue trapping. Spray repellent on shrubs and plants because armadillos will attack those too if hungry enough.

Old 10-10-04, 06:41 PM
A
Smile

Thank you both for the response. I was using over ripe banana as bait and catching skunks (pee-yew) with it. We dealt with them (3) then I did another web search and found something else to try. It was suggested that if the armadillo stopped going into the trap at the burrow, you should try the trap at the area where they have been feeding, by putting grubs and worms in a piece of hosiery and suspend that inside the cage. Also I found out that the armadillos feet are very sensitive and you should pad the bottom of the cage with leaves or grass. Hopefully the scent of the worms and grubs will lure them in and the grass will make a nice carpet for them to enter the trap on. I don't know how successful we will be, but we are trying that method tonight, since it has been several days since we got anything out of a burrow.
Thanks again, and I will let you know how it works. Our count so far is 3 armadillo, 3 skunk, and 1 (very offended) oppossum.

Old 10-14-04, 07:20 PM
A
Smile

No luck so far with that last method, so I am going back to searching the woods for burrows and trying to catch them there. I had the most success doing that.

Old 10-15-04, 05:42 PM
T
Armadillos

Remember to combine passive and aggressive methods involving repellents, treating lawn for grubs, and trapping.

Old 10-19-04, 04:21 PM
A
Thumbs up

We are continuing our efforts to rid our lawn of armadillo cuisine and setting the trap. We are setting the trap on our neighbors property. He found damage in his yard and caught a large male armadillo. It seems to be that several folks around this area are complaining about them this year. Or maybe it's just that my ear has become sensitive to the issue.

This is a great forum. I have been reading the posts and have found lots of helpful info.

Once again, many thanks.
Sue

Old 03-27-05, 08:20 PM
wmccormick
Visiting Guest
I live in Texas, and we have a huge armadillo problem. I have been told that a pair of armadillos usually has 4 babies, so they run in groups of as many as 6. Be very careful about touching an armadillo. 30% of them have leprosy. It is not known whether it is the type of leprosy that humans catch or not, but I never pick up an armadillo without covering it with a thick layer of paper or other barrier. I live in a very rural area, so I can fire a gun. I hunt them at night with a flashlight. They are very dumb. You can walk right up to them with a flashlight in hand and shoot them or hit them with a board. Be careful. Their first fear response is to jump straight up about 3 feet. If you do not want to harm the things, but relocate them instead, remember the leprosy potential.

W.A. McCormick

Old 03-28-05, 07:38 PM
T
Yes, armadillos can carry leprosy. There are, however, no armadillos in Africa, Asia, or India, where the disease is most prevalent. But, researchers report that 95% of humans are naturally immune and stand a greater chance of getting HIV or hepatitis C. Wear rubber gloves and protective clothing. Disinfect clothing after trapping and wash hands. Never handle armadillo or traps without rubber gloves.

Old 04-15-05, 09:12 AM
Jim Haynes
Visiting Guest
Armadillo Repellant

I live in SE Texas, and in a slab foundation house. Armadillos tend to burrow under the slab. It took some time and a lot of advice and repellants, but I finally found s substance which works 100% for me. I just roll about 6 - 8 old-fashioned moth balls (without the added scents) down the burrow, wait about 15 minutes, then stick a bicycle pump hose down the hole and pump a few dozen times. This blows the vapors from the moth balls further down the hole. I then sit back in a lawn chair and whack him with a 22 short when he comes out. One can place a trap in front of the burrow hole if one wants to catch them alive. We have so many here that no one wants to trap and transfer them.

This method works for skunks as well, except that I would not sit in a lawn chair to whack these when they come out. A rancher nearby whose house is up on 2-ft piers told me that scattering mothballs under his house kept skunks out. Jim

Old 04-29-05, 02:47 PM
Tootie
Visiting Guest
Armadillos

We had trouble with Armadillos in FL. They say they can dig down as far as 18". She dug a ditch more than 18" around her house and put some type of chicken wire all around to stop them from diggin under the house. I have heard that if you remove them, you should take them a long way off or they will find their way back. They also move "homes" and don't stay in the same place all the time but will sooner or later go back to the old home. Very difficult to get rid of. Had one under our house that damaged air conditioning. We put concrete blocks all around where they had gone in and even put some down as far as 18" into the dirt. Katie

Old 05-28-05, 06:11 AM
Keith Smith
Visiting Guest
Help

I have an Armadillo that has burrowed under my house. I set a live trap to catch him but it has not come out after three days. Is there a true proven way to get him to come out, I have been scared that he would just go farther if it heard noises around the hole. I don't care if it is killed or not, at this point I would pay a bounty to get rid of it. I read about the mothballs, I may try that one today, it works quickly?
Thanks,
Keith

Old 05-31-05, 09:22 PM
T
Armadillos can tunnel 20+ feet. They are nocturnal. And, they love worms and grubs. Eliminating lawn of food source with insecticide is often effective. There are repellents in both liquid and granular form. Repellents need to be reapplied after it rains. Also employ the use of traps baited with rotting fruit like apples, bananas, or pears. Armadillos don't see well, causing them to follow fences, foundations, and pathways to navigate. Place trap at den or along the path. Place two 2x6's in front of trap to funnel the armadillow into the trap.