Sump Pump Mice Entrance

Old 10-15-04, 04:01 PM
krystle_jay
Visiting Guest
Question Sump Pump Mice Entrance

Hello everyone,

I have a quick question since all of my other questions have been answered on this forum.

How can I cover/seal my sump pump so that mice can't enter?

Old 10-15-04, 04:59 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sump Pump Mice Entry

I do not believe that mice are gaining entry into your home via the sump pump. Although mice require little water, they may be ending up in the sump pump because they got thirsty. Sump pump area can be covered with metal mesh such as hardware cloth available at hardware store.

Inspect your structure for possible entries for mice. They can squeeze through a small crack or hole the size of a dime. Caulk and fill all possible entries in foundation. Make sure doors and windows properly close and have weather stripping to help with energy bills and exclude pests. Seal around all pipes, vents, and wires that enter the home. Seal around pipes under sinks. Mice can jump 12" high, run up the sides of buildings and cross cables and wires. Keep tree branches cut back at least 10 feet from structure to prevent mice and squirrels from entering attic. Do not leave doors open unless you have a properly fitting screen or storm door. It is cool weather and the mice are looking for a winter home.

Trapping is recommended. The use of poisons is not recommended because mice can die in walls and unaccessible places and result in an odor problem until the victim(s) completely decompose. This can take weeks to months depending upon the size of the victim.

If you catch a mouse, proceed with caution because they may carry disease. Using a spray bottle of disinfectant (bleach/water solution), thoroughly spray dead rodents, traps, droppings and the areas where you found them. Do not sweep or vacuum mouse droppings in your home until you have wet the affected area with detergent, bleach and water. Dry sweeping or vacuuming might put dust containing viruses into the air. Wet affected areas and then sweep. Wear protective glove and place the sprayed rodent and/or droppings in a plastic bag and seal it. Then place the bag into a second bag, seal and dispose of with the trash.

Practice good sanitation. A clean, uncluttered home makes it difficult for mice to find food and shelter. Mice are more active at night. You can hear them in walls and attic. Watch for droppings in storage areas, basement, and garage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: