Foam Insulation and Carpenter Ants

Old 10-25-04, 03:09 PM
FrenchMountain
Visiting Guest
Red face Foam Insulation and Carpenter Ants

I had a small problem with carpenter ants eating firewood near my house. The exterminator took care of the problem, but when I told him I planned to place rigid foam insulation on the exterior of my foundation, he suggested it may not be a good idea.

He suggested that carpenter ants (and termites) would tunnel behind the foam, from the ground to the house framing.

Should I be concerned about this? Since I need the insulation, is there anything I can do stop the insects? Is there a physical barrier or an organic pest control I could employ?

Old 10-25-04, 03:46 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Below grade? Yes, insects can tunnel behind the RFI. Or install high enough above grade to reveal an inspection area. Some brands have borate insecticide in their product, but I'm not sure of the efficacy. Some jurisdictions don't permit exterior insulation board below grade. Alternative is to put the insulation on the inside, if you have a basement with no moisture problems.

Old 10-25-04, 08:35 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carpenter Ants

Addressing moisture issues around the foundation is important to keeping carpenter ants, termites, and other insect pests and their predators at bay. A regular perimiter residual insecticide treatment on and around foundation tends to keep most insect pests at bay. Get a terminite inspection, have treatments done, if necessary, and maintain annual contract for inspection. It is a small price to pay to protect the investment in your home.

Seal all cracks and crevices where insects can enter home. Make sure doors and windows properly seal. Keep gutters and downspouts clear and make sure they carry water away from foundation. Slope soil to carry away rain water. Keep vegetation trimmed along foundation and keep it off the structure. Keep overhanging tree branches cut back 8-10' from roof.

As indicated, RFI is no prevention of insects entering home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: