Cleanup Mouse Droppings

Old 11-18-04, 07:48 AM
A
Aya
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleanup Mouse Droppings

OK, so the sellers of the house we are buying agreed to have it exterminated for carpenter ants, termites, and mice even though there were no signs of a current infestation. I'm still a little wary because supposedly they are having it done for a fraction of the cost we were quoted by the pest inspector. But the exterminator they are using is the one our realator (also a good friend) uses for her own home, and she says he is great.

But since the house has been emtpy for 2 years, there is a lot of cleaning to be done before we can move in, including cleaning up mouse potties. I know that mouse droppings can carry hantavirus, and that I should wear a HEPA filtered dust mask and gloves to clean up droppings. But what type of cleaner is best to use to kill germs? Also, I heard that you should not sweep or vacuum droppings, but what about vaccuming areas where there is a great accumlation of dust and cobwebs that might also have a few stray droppings? I can't imaging scrubbing every surface (including the attic storage and basement) by hand with disinfecant, not at least without vacuuming the loose stuff first.

Old 11-20-04, 03:05 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cleanup mice droppings

The key is not to get the mouse droppings or urine particles airborne. You do not want to breathe the airborne particles. Do not raise any dust. Wear a dust mask and make sure it fits closely around nose and mouth. Don't touch mask after you start cleaning. Replace mask if it becomes soiled. Thoroughly wet droppings and urine with bleach/water solution (1/4 cup in one gallon water). Wet down contaminated area with solution. Wear rubber gloves and collect droppings with paper towels and place in garbage bag. Once area is free of droppings, go back and disinfect the entire area again. Pick up any dead mice with rubber gloves and small plastic bag. Turn bag inside out so you do not touch the mouse. Tie the bag. If mouse is found in trap, do not disinfect the trap because bleach will keep mice away from trap. Commercial steam cleaning (water temperature 180 degrees plus) will disinfect carpet. If you shampoo carpet, add a household disinfectant like Lysol to cleaning solution. NEVER vacuum mouse droppings because you don't want to take the chance of releasing hanta virus into air through vacuum. Do not shake mouse droppings out of bedding or clothing. Take outside and roll droppings off fabric. Wash and disinfect by adding Lysol to laundry. Wash clothing worn while cleaning the same way. Wash hands thoroughly after cleaning even though you wore rubber gloves.

Old 11-21-04, 05:50 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cleaning mouse droppings

I have read that hanta virus does not survive more than a few days at room temperature. If the droppings are old, do you recommend taking the same degree of precaution?

Old 11-21-04, 11:57 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Please take all precautions. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: