Lady Bugs in the house

Old 11-25-04, 06:17 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lady Bugs in the house

Whats going on, my house is getting invaded by lady bugs. They really don't bother me but I wonder if they are doing any damage?

Old 11-25-04, 06:41 AM
K
we have the same thing here in north texas. first frost last night so they are probably gone now.

Old 11-25-04, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I realize this link concerns New Hampshire but should be the same no matter what the area.

http://www.nhaudubon.org/naturalist/...istladybug.htm

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-25-04, 07:27 AM
Y
Thanks for that link, thats pretty much what I thought. Like I said they don't really bother me and I do know they are good to have around come summer time. I know around here, come summer some of the garden shops sell them.

Thanks again and happy turkey day to you to.

Old 11-28-04, 05:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
This year was little centipede things... last year was lady beatles. They never caused any problems and it was sort of fun seeing where they would turn up. We have a bead board ceiling in our spa/hot tub room and the lady beatles would get in the grooves and run back and forth like cars on the highway.

Old 11-28-04, 06:19 PM
Y
Pilot,

Thats funny that you say that because that is where my lady bugs like to hang out. My bead board is painted white and they stick out like a sore thumb.

Old 03-03-05, 09:30 AM
mooreisbetter
Visiting Guest
Talking

They are a sign of good luck!

They are in my daughters room year round.....I don't know how they get in but she loves them. Mostly in the summer she will wake up on the weekends and one or two will be on her white curtains.... she lets them crawl all over or just lets them sit in the sun.

They won't hurt anything.

Old 03-03-05, 07:06 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There is nothing positive about the Lady Asian Beetle infestation in this country. They were imported along with other animals and plants from other countries over the years that have left us having to deal with the after effects. So, the Dept. of Agriculture brought in the Lady Asian Beetle (looks like our little ladie bugs that went to the lady bug picnic but aren't), Cudzu, Multi-flora Rose and many other invasive plants and animals into the US. It appears the decisions are made hastily without enough research and study regarding long-term effects by the Dept. of Agriculture and others in the US Government.

The Lady Asian Beetle tends to be more interested in our homes than any aphids attacking evergreen trees. My mountain cabin is infested with them. So much so, that when I was there in October I developed a buzzing in my left ear. When I spent Christmas with a girl with whom I grew up, when I took a shower I pulled one out of my ear on a cue tip.

These beasts tend to be attracted to wood-sided structures in open, sunny areas on the west and south sides of structures. The only advice from the Dept. of Agriculture is to vacuum. According to them, they tend to be resistent to insecticides. I have set off bombs and sprayed. I don't have the money for caulk or to eliminate my drop ceiling or hire an exterminator. Everyone I know who has a brick-sided structure has no problem, and if they did they caulked around doors and windows.

The Lady Asian Beetle does not die out over winter. They hide in your woodpile, up under your siding and enter your ceilings and your home through light fixtures. My dropped ceiling and 2x4 fluourescent lights are infested. I have the spring and the fall swarm. I always leave my cabin impeccably clean. When I return, I start all over cleaning. Bug bombs do not work. I did both spring and fall cleaning there in January. Very unusual to have temperatures in the high 60's. I was motivated and cleaned everything. My neighbor called two weeks later to report she checked on my house and my efforts were for naught. I am not talking a handful, I am talking thousands. The property sits in a river valley between two mountains in a very narrow river valley at the head of a hollow in the Monongalhelia National Forest and is lucky to have two hours of that is directly ahead as it crosses from one mountain to another. It is in a clearing. I have learned that properties that sit in wooded, shaded areas do not have this problem. Only sunny houses.

Despite all the complaints and the many complaints about Asian Lady Beetles the year before in WV they dropped the beetles next door in Virginia last year.

I have too many irons in the fire as a community activist to take on the Dept. of Agriculture. I have always been enamoured with them and their purpose and their Master Gardening Classes, of which I am a graduate. Even though they are so researched oriented and I worked at one of their research gardening centers in a previous life, I will always wonder if the decisions are made by researchers or politicians and lobbyists.

I've been across this country and admired the countryside and the great beauty. I have always recognized God Bless America as our second national anthem. We all standup and sing this song. I have Dept. of Agriculture Members in my Rotary. I am sure the locals have nothing to do with the politics. The locals are just good old farm boys and have nothing to do with the national political decisions.

I just want to share your disgust with Lady Asian Beetle invasion. I also want to denounce those that claim that these are the same beetle that went to the Lady Bug Picnic and the sweet little lady bugs about which we fantasized as a result of the stories and songs as children.

From the mountains,
To the prairies,
To the ocean,
White with foam,
God bless America,
My home sweet home.
God bless America,
My home sweet home.

It's not our home when someone is dumping pesticides or animal or plant pests or other invasive elements into our communities.

I live in an area where mountaintop removal is a major issue. If you had an aireal view and documentation of the damage done to the Appalachian landscape, you would never put your community's hands into local politicians. It is extremely important that we are all as actively involved or moreso in our personal communities than we are at DIY.com. Sometimes I am not here at DIYU because I am a community activist.

If you really care about our world and our little communities (mine is population 2000 with bullet holes shot through the sign), you'd get actively involved. I have so many times been fussed at because I don't spend more time here at DUT, but I am out trying to change the world in my community with so many irons in the fires. I have never felt that I could change the world here or expected that. My only goal at DIY is to help others and through that be a role model. And, the challenges to change the world at DIY tend to parallel those in the real world.

Sorry, I got side tracked, but I wanted to make clear that our problems on a local level re: lady bugs brought into this country beyond our power were not something unnatural or due to local politics. The Lady Asian Beetle is a local problem according to the Dept. of Agriculture. Call your local Dept. of Agriculture re: advice & controls. If you learn something helpful, please report back.

Old 03-07-05, 07:13 AM
mooreisbetter
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I'm sorry you are having such problems with the lady bugs, I would probably feel the same way if my house was covered with them. But they do not bother me because we only have about 2 a week in my daughters room. You must have some pretty tough lady bugs, because when I bug bomb my house I find them in my windows dead. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: