speck-sized bugs in basement and kitchen

Old 12-13-04, 01:53 PM
threefirstnames
Visiting Guest
speck-sized bugs in basement and kitchen

recently i've begun to notice a rash of dead bugs on my basement (tile) floor. they are extremely small. they look like specks of dirt until you really look close and see that they're some kind of bug. they seem to be dying in pretty large numbers all over my basement floor and i've noticed them on my kitchen floor as well. any idea what these could be or what i can do about them besides sweep them up?

Old 12-17-04, 07:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
They sounds like some kind of mite, but I can't say for sure. I often find mite problems in ventilation ducts - where bird activity exists. Mites will also enter the home through any cracks and crevices on the outside. Proper sealing of these areas will usually cut them off. Chemical applications around the exterior foundation perimeter can also help keep them out.

I don't know what kind of weather you got there, but in our weather right now(0/-5c)i'm not seeing a whole heck of a lot.

I would clean up the old dead ones and watch the area closely every day to see if you find any new activity. This could just be an old problem.

Jay

Old 12-18-04, 01:05 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Check your cupboards and pantries for signs of insects. These little insects could be pantry or grain beetles. Make sure your pasta, cereal, rice, and other grain products are in airtight containers. Check dried flower arrangements and wreaths for infestation. Also, check pet food and bird seed and keep those in airtight containers.

Mold mites, which include cheese, flour, and grain mites. They can infest stored food and grain. They feed on molds and are common only where mold and fungi can flourish. This means in areas of high humidity such as crawl spaces and basements. Infestations have been found in cheese, flour, grain, seeds, bulbs, straw, wallpaper, furniture, dried fruits, cereal foods, bird and small mammal nests. Eliminating the moisture and humidity problems is the first step. Persistent spraying with insecticide is effective on live mites. Cracks and crevices should be treated with residual insecticide. Dispose of sweeper bag.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: