Mosquitos in mid-December

Old 12-19-04, 12:02 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mosquitos in mid-December

This property I moved into 6 weeks ago has a lot of issues, but the worst is one where the source of it cannot be located and dealt with. This is a mosquito problem in mid-December. They keep buzzing around. I constantly swat at them, but it's like they're somehow multiplying. Where should I look? What should I do?

Old 12-19-04, 06:54 AM
K
if there is not a lake or creek near you the mosquitoes must have a place to breed. look for anything holding water. old tires, buckets, catchbasins, or an unrepaired leak somewhere. what about your rain gutters? are they clean and clear?

Old 12-19-04, 07:45 AM
S
It's surprising to me that you would have a mosquito problem in NEW YORK in DECEMBER.I don't mean to question you but are you certain that is the insect you are dealing with?Temperatures in your area have been at levels that should have brought mosquitos under control.Are they affecting you inside your home or just outside?As stated anything holding water is a possible source of the problem but if the problem is inside only then they may be some other insect that is breeding in trash,vegtable or fruit or in some area of the home that is kept warm.If that is the case you should locate and dispose of anything such as fruit and make sure all trash recepticles are clean etc.Then I suggest possibly using insect foggers if the insects continue to appear,including in attics and crawl spaces etc.

Old 12-19-04, 10:30 AM
J
I'm sorry kerry and spdavid. My lack of information has been misleading. Yes, the problem is indoors where there is enough heat to keep them alive and moving. Since I moved, I haven't been bit by one. Amazing! It appears their main interest is hibernation, not blood. Still, a mosquito is a mosquito and they have to leave NOW!

Old 12-20-04, 09:16 AM
K
are you absolutely sure they are mosquitoes? have you killed one and looked closely? i dont believe the life cycle of a mosquitoe is over 30 days. if im correct, they must be breeding in water. dont you all have sumps in your basements up there? they may be breeding in there.

Old 12-20-04, 06:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Is it possible your pests are fruit flies, gnats or some other insect? They can live & breed in garbage, house plant pots and sink drains. Tear open a really ripe banana and let it sit on the counter and see if the bugs are attracted.

Old 12-20-04, 11:43 PM
J
Yes, it's mosquitoes, of the female gender, meaning these could bite at any time though no bites yet. It's not fruit flies or any other. I have been pouring Chlorox in the sump hole once a day, however, the pump kicks on approximately once every half hour. I'm at a loss what to do other than bomb the whole house. Any suggestions?

Old 12-22-04, 01:32 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a breeding site for mosquitoes indoors, this needs to be eliminated. If you think they are breeding in the sump hole water, adding a couple capfuls of chlorine bleach is usually effective as is a weekly flushing to eliminate larvae. You indicate that the sump pump kicks on every 1/2 hour or so, so this makes me think that the sump pump is not the breeding site. Check flower pots, refrigerator drain pan, and any other sources that may contain standing water. There are aerosol insecticide sprays that can be used to eliminate flying insects. Bombing the house will eliminate live insects, but will not eliminate the larvae.

Another thought that comes to mind is that these are not mosquitoes, but rather fungus gnats. These look very much like mosquitoes. They usually emerge from overwet potted plants or flower boxes containing damp soil rich in humus. Adults are attracted to lights and are often first noticed at windows. Larvae or maggots which feed in soil high in orangic matter and on plant roots. Check your potted plants. Spray soil & plants with houseplant insecticide. Clean and disinfect saucers & let soil dry out. Check refrigerator drip pan & any other damp source where gnats can breed. Check for water leaks and damp areas in basement. Adult fungus gnats are about 1/8 to 1/10 inch long, grayish to black, slender, mosquito-like, and delicate with long legs, antennae and one pair of wings. Identification can be made by the vein patterns in the wings. Darkwinged fungus gnat adults have eyes that meet above the base of the antennae. Aerosol insecticide for flying insects can be used & sticky traps are helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: