Deer Control

Old 01-09-05, 08:47 PM
panthrcat
Visiting Guest
Deer Control

Hi!
my name is Sue, and I love to work and build new gardens! last summer I built a fairly large one, and was anticipating planting many perenials, and did so,, but then the deer moved in and mowed them all down!!

I have tried a few remedies, but none seem to work,, this topic may have already been addressed, as it's a common problem,, so what do I do about it besides shooting them,, I live in town, so that will wind me up in jail

I am also undergoing some renovations in my basement, and think this group/site is going to be most helpful!! thanks!!

Sue

Old 01-10-05, 04:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
panthrcat, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You have to annoy the deer to get them out of your garden. Their sense of smell and taste are two things you can annoy with homemade remedies.
1) Tobacco Tea: One package chewing tobacco mixed in one bucket of water. Let it sit a couple days and pour it on your plants. POISON!!! Do not put this solution on any plants that you are going to eat (vegetables etc). Do not put ANY liquid solution on plants when temperature is less than 40 or will not be dry before it goes down to that temp. You risk killing your plants.
2) 1 gallon water, 2 raw eggs, and 1 bar nice smelling soap. Mix together, let sit a day or 2 outside and spray on plants. Soap will act as an adhesive and will not wash off in rain as easily.
If a deer is starving, it will eat anything. No matter how it smells or tastes. Good luck.

Old 01-16-05, 09:25 PM
T
Deer control

In addition to many homemade repellents, there are commercial ones available, too. Most studies tend to show that using a variety of repellents and rotating them seems to work. As indicated, deer just might get used to the eggs or any repellent. If hungry enough, they will eat anything. Erecting fences is another option. Fences have to be 8 feet high. Some angle fences at a 45 degree angle. Where deer populations are low, a single electric wire fence may be effective. And, you can plant deer resistant plants in your landscape. Check with your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for a list of deer resistant plants and recommendations for controlling deer in your area. There are a lot of good websites that offer information on deer control.

Old 03-05-05, 01:18 PM
jdetar7
Visiting Guest
Make it into a game

Probably the best solution is a dog, but some dogs will dig up and destroy yards if they get bored, and you may not be a dog person. And dogs require fences if you're going to live in the city. I live in western Oregon, inside the city limits with houses all around. Deer have traipsed through my yard and garden since I moved in 16 years ago. What they eat one year may be different from the previous year. The herd migrates through our part of town on about a 3-4 day rotation. They have found my yard so inviting that they will spend the day resting under large shrubs. Plants described as deer-resistent will get browsed by fawns and yearlings that have not learned what is worth eating, and what is not. Everything works for a while, but deer are remarkably resilient. I have tried bars of bath soap, egg sprays and all the smelly commercial products. Just when you think you have resolved the problem, they're back in the yard when the spray has worn off enough for them to tolerate it, or they find the few plants that haven't been sprayed. All the sprays need to be refreshed after the sprinklers have run or it has rained. This year I will be using a habanero pepper application--that should get them moving! One product that works with the least amount of "do-overs" are motion-activated sprinklers. The ones I have are called "Scarecrows." They operate on a 9-volt battery and garden hose water. Even those have to be reset in order to keep the deer guessing or they will figure out where they can go without being hit by the spray. And you may forget the sprinkler is there and get sprayed too! Keep the deer guessing, and think of it as a game!

Old 03-29-05, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30-06 works everytime...

Old 03-29-05, 09:44 PM
T
Usually there are ordinances against discharging firearms within residential areas. Check local ordinances before considering firearms as well as any regulations about shooting deer damaging crops.

Old 03-29-05, 11:14 PM
wmccormick
Visiting Guest
I gotcha all beat. Last year the deer (we live amongst many of them) mowed my green beans down once. I studied how to handle the situation and came up with the perfect and harmless solution. I bought a bag of the hottest pepper I could find (jabinero, cienne-sp? will work too), put them into the blender with apple juice. I pulverized them, cooked them, strained out the pulp, added a few drops of dishwashing soap to get it to stick to the leaves, and put it into my sprayer. One treatment lasted the whole summer. It seems that deer don' like hot lips, and they are smart enough to take no chance on a second case of burning smacker.

W.A. McCormick
Texas

Old 03-30-05, 07:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I know you can't just go out and blast away.. but the peppers?... my deer ate my peppers out of the garden and I was growing Habanero's... they love them!

Old 03-30-05, 08:35 PM
wmccormick
Visiting Guest
Did they get them before they turned red? I used red, fully mature peppers.

W.A. McCormick

Old 04-01-05, 07:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
I've had surprisingly good results stringing 100 pound fishing line about 3' off the ground at the edge of the woods around the house. I think they bump into it and just move in a different direction. It's not perfect, since a running deer will plow right through it, but when they are grazing it's enough to get them moving another way.

Old 04-02-05, 05:04 PM
R
The only really effective solution to deer browsing is unfortunately the most expensive one. A minimum 6' (preferably 8') fence.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: